Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried a Fodera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Monarch 4 string with a set neck.

Boy did I sound great. I was going to say "boy did it sound great.", but it was increadible how it played itself. I busted out all the music store chops and wen't off. Partly I think, because it was a 4 stringer and I now play a 5. I used to do more acrobatic things. Anyway, there was NOTHING about this bass that I didn't love.

I ran it through several set-ups. I had it in a Warwick Quad-4 and 410. Ant through an Aguillar running through 2 bag end115s.

I never thought I would see the value in such an expensive instrument, but man, was that sweet.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think you got the two inverted, then. :D

I once had the opportunity to buy a Monarch 5 for a little over $1100. I didn't because 1) I was broke; and 2) the thing had this monster of a neck that hurt my hand just by holding it. Undoubtedly, it was built for one of those guys who can hold a basketball in one hand better than me. In every other aspect, it was great and as solid as they come.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Well, the bass had awsome tone. I could get just about any sound I wanted from it. I say I sounded grear because...you know when you pick up a bass and can do just about anything you want with it? I don't think I'd buy it though since that feeling wears off as soon as you get it in your car.

4. A monarch 5 for $1100? Where's the line at?

5. You mean "get on the bus".. since you'd have to sell your car to buy the bass! :D
    I know what you mean though, Zulu.. the couple of Foderas I've played were incredible.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Even if you absolutely hated the bass... that's free money:D

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  8. punkbassist

punkbassist Guest

Dec 3, 2001
    New Jersey
    when you mean a monster hand, would you mean a guy like anthony jackson, the king of the fodera bass?

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I finally got a chance to play a Fodera, a used fretless 5 (near mint), and it lived up to the hype. I was zooming up and down the neck like crazy, having a blast. And get this: I don't even play fretless!

That said: I bought a Lull P5 and a Modulus Q5 brand new for less than the price of that used Fodera, and I'd rather keep those two. But if I came across a few extra thou, then sure, I'd love to add a Fodera to my arsenal.

As for the one at BassNW: I adore the buckeye burl, but I think it clashes terribly with the orange woods. :eek:

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    True, but if you look at my list of reasons not to buy the bass, being broke was #1.:(

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    There's always convenience stores and gas stations...

Just kidding. I know what you mean;)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That bass is going on eBay again. One more chance, Fuzz

:D

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The overpriced fretless Fodera, you mean? Well, there are a lot of convenience stores in our area... guess I'd better get busy!
    :cool: <-- burglar mask

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Guess I won't take that job at the 7-11

:D

15. I have to stop looking at Foderas. It's like trying to talk to a pretty girl who ignores you.
    I've become too attached to them and I know playing one will just make it worse. I can't even watch Jay Leno anymore since the Bassist in the Tonight Show band has at least one.
    :(

16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    There's nothing wrong with looking...

17. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm gonna have to aggree with Fuzzbass and Zulufunk. Those thingsplay so easily it's scary. I got to try a few at Bass Day, and even got to talk to Vinnie Fodera.

18. Brad my GAS is bad already right now,till I get my new spector in a month or so. Then You go and keep pouring fuel on the fire.:D

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hey brad, i saw that fodera back on ebay and the fact that the price keeps getting lower makes it increasingly more interesting. im going to email the store but since youve played it i thought id ask you some questions.

the description says ebony board but it looks like rosewood or pau ferro, were you able to tell?

any noticable wear or buzz spots on the fingerboard?

were you able to tell the scale length and how was the b string? i had a 34" scale emperor and the b wasnt anything special, but was excellent on the 35" scale emperor.

anyway, enough with the inquistion, but im curious.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    They also say it has the SD Custom dual-coil pickups - WRONG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.