1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tried a Gibson SG bass today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noot, Jul 15, 2014.

1. I went out to meet a friend and he took me to a nearby instrument shop where I saw the SG bass. I don't know why they call it SG, it looks like an EB-3, but anyways... This one had a mahogany satin finish, not the usual glossy red. It was short scale, had one mudbucker and one bridge pick-up. It felt light. The bass sounded nice and fat, a bit low on the treble side, but that may have been the amp, a solid-state 100W Orange. It was comfortable to play, even with high action. Overall a nice, decent, respectable bass with usable sound. I personally didn't feel any impulse to buy it though, already having a P bass and not feeling like this would enrich my sound portfolio by much.

2. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

It sounds like a Gibson, 2014 SG Special, Chocolate Satin. A good base for about half the price of the Gibson SG Standard.

3. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I tried an SG Standard a few weeks back. It was built great, and it sounded great, but the body and neck didn't feel "right" for me. The body was a little too small, and the neck was too thick front-to-back. I was disappointed, because it's a bass that I've wanted for a while. For other players, it's exactly what they've been looking for, but sadly, it's not for me:(

gsgbass likes this.
  4. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Yeah, that can happen with the SG Std.'s design. Neck dive isn't a favorable issue with SG Std.'s either.

5. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I've always wanted a vintage EB 3, friends dad has one and it sounds sweet!

6. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I really like how it sounded and looked, but I imagine that I wouldn't play it as often because I wouldn't like the feel. I got bummed because I was looking for a good short scale bass, and the SG Special is a great deal on an American made nitro finished bass. Another TB'er made a thread where she tried one and fell in love with it. I'm jealous!! Maybe I'll revisit it sometime in the future and have a second go at it.

7. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    A Gibson SG Std bass has been my gigging bass for a long time. Love them.

Tbone76 likes this.
  8. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    I'm intrigued by this bass. I'm also a guitarist and own a late 90s SG Special that is an excellent instrument, better made in my opinion than my late model Les Paul Traditional.

The various "lower end" Gibson like the Special and faded lines are the best values on the market that I have seen-USA made set neck guitars than can be had new for about what you'd pay for a MIM Fender.