Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried a *Good* Musicman/J bass today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkize you, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I know I put a LOT of bad things down about Musicmans, based off of two different bad experiances...

Well, Today I picked up a Stingray, and messed around a little with it, and it felt really good this time, I was VERY pleasantly suprised. Construction was Top notch, Setup was Almost perfect, And I got that Stingray sound. But the Neck is still way to slow for me, and the string spacing still isnt to my liking, But at least I can appreciate it as an instrument now...

I also played with some Jazz basses... I first picked up a MIA Jazz... That was a Horrible sounding thing... First off, the Neck felt really cheasy, the sound quality was some of the worst i've ever heard... But then I picked up a Seafoam MIM J bass, and it's quality FAR surpassed the american Fender... I was blown away, It had a Nice slap and pop sound, and felt nice... I dont know what the deal with the MIA was... Doesnt make sense :confused:

But I do know like the Feel of the J bass... My next bass will probably be a... Lakland JO Jazz :D (What? You werent expecting me to say Fender were you?)

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Some American J basses are bad apples, or could just be personal taste.

3. Yeah! Laklands are really something.

:D

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

YES! I've owned Many a Lakland!

Loved 'em all.

5. My '97 MIA Jass V is baaaaaad-afro man. i've bought and sold about 28 basses since i got it. will never leave my side. :hyper: