Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tried a JP fretless Plume last night!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-raj, Apr 28, 2004.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Last night Xush (mark) was intown (ATL) to see the Yes concert that is actually tonight and I had the rare oppt'y to try two rather rare basses: FBB SC8 and JP Plume Fretless 5:

[​IMG]

Well, Schuyler and I originally planned to redezvous with Mark so we could see his FBB SC 8-string and get a hands-on feel of how Matt Schmill (FBB) executed the heel carving. This is because one of the next basses that I'm thinking on having Schuyler build for me is an SC6. The only problem is that in the Atlanta-area, there aren't any Single-Cutaway basses around to look at for ideas.

Anyways...Mark also brought the JP Plume 5 along. Sky and I were totally floored. It is an amazingly well-crafted sonic beauty of an instrument. We were both scratching our heads about how the neck is set, (*JP feel free to chime in and explain this for us). The solid black limba is very simple and elegant looking... Rather light, very well balanced and has great ebony knobs.

Plugged it into my Trace V-type/Crown/GS112... Ahhh! mwawhatever y'all call it, this bass has it and totally sang. Got some great finger-punchy articulate mid action. Got a great modern-sounding blues/R&B/P-bass tone with the front pickup solo'd (or nearly solo'd). I love the Preamp, don't know much about John East's stuff, do tell if knowledgable.

The neck felt very comfy and the spacing must be very close to what I'm playing now, it felt great.

The one thing I can say about playing that JP Plume is that it played like a bass that I've owned for years...

I totally want one, but gotta hold off for right now.

Great job JP!, thank you Mark...

Oh yeah, here is a pic of us three hanging (mini GTG '04) in the hotel with the basses:

[​IMG]
    Schuyler, Mark Christianson & Me.

2. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Glad you guys enjoyed the JP...cuz I'm loving my JP Zia & Plume SC..hmmm fretless huh....got to email that French man :eek:

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Wow,

thanks a lot for the kind words. Looks like you guys had a great time there!

The neck is set pretty simply in the body. I just rout a pocket like if the bass was a bolt on, glue the neck in and do some carving on the neck heel.

The preamp John East make for me is by far my favorite. It's very musical and as simple as I like them.

Peace,
    JP

4. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Could someone tell me please what singlecut the gentleman on the left of the picture is holding? It looks absolutely stunning.

Regards

Mike

5. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    It's Xush's FBB 8 strings, If I'm not mistaken...

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    fbb mawks pther fbb's are very nice. if i wasnt such a fan of traditional basses ( fender/music man) i would be all over a fbb. i am also a big fan of the ZIA. can you give me a relative size JP? i am a bigger guy and want to know if it would look like i was playing mandolin. lol

7. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
  8. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

relative size?

hmmm, maybe Hman could take a pic of his Zia against another more known bass (if he owns one) ??

Horace? you there?
    ;)

JP

9. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks for the help! I dont really know FBB. Looks great though.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Was great to meet Jairaj and Schuyler. Had a lot of fun!
    Got a little nervous when I saw 2 guys with mullets, cut-off T-shirts and baseball bats coming towards our room (how do you run w/ 2 gigbags?!) but was relieved to discover that these were not the gentlemen I was there to meet.

Jairaj is a bassin' monsta! Yikes, this fella can play him some bass! Was fun to see him give the fretli a good workout. My JP hasn't gotten that much love in quite a while, I think it slept soundly that night. J's Warrior is a cool bass, I was impressed. Plays like one of those basses you've had forever.

And Schuyler does some awesome luthiery! His custom fretless was a real work of art. Such refined work from a relative newcomer- I think he's going to be a contender real quick. He knows his away around that wood. The bass was beautiful and rewarded me with some awesome tones while patiently enduring my disjointed pawing. dang I need to start playing again!

All in all, it was a great night. Met 2 terrific guys, talked some bass, and made a few connections (MOST appreciated guys, will happily reciprocate!)

Oh, then there was this cool band I got to see the night after. They were pretty good.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Mark you and your toys are in high demand :bassist:

12. MAJOR METAL

PS Mark when are you comming to NY so we can hang out and Jam ?

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    You'll be the first to know K!

Probably not too long now, we still have friends in Brooklyn.

14. MAJOR METAL

Great, their are alot of cool places to jam and hang in Brooklyn. Can you see getting any more buckeye basses Mark?.

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Probably no more basses at all for a while. One more FBB eventually, but I doubt we'll use buckeye. Me likes variety.

I do love the piece Matt used on the 8 though!

16. MAJOR METAL

Variety is the spice of life :D

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Wow Mark, Thanks for the kind words!

Please thank Tammy for me, for putting up with us bassists!!

How was the concert?

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
  19. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Mark,

About 2am last night while I was packing up from my gig in Douglasville, GA... I got a call from a fellow bassist that got back from New Orleans (Jazzfest)... He brought my SSW Fretless bass with him and Jimmy Herring, Oteil Burbridge and Neal Fountain all got a chance to play it.... And liked it.

How's that for cool?

:bassist:

Tammy's right bassist are 'good people'...

Chat soon,

jairaj

20. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    very cool indeed!

I'm still working on compiling some contacts for you down here...
    should have it ready soon!