Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried a MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Loads of threads on such subjects.....:eek:

But I just wanted to say that I had a go on a mates new MIM Jazz, and what a great bass it is.

I'm not really a Fender man and have only ever played a Jazz once, and that was in a store some years back. And still don't really like the sound of a Jazz (I prefer a couple of humbuckers).

But what an absolutely teriffic bass this MIM is. It's really well built with a superb feel to the neck. I can't imagine that there could be much difference between that and a standard MIA Jazz.

Yep, great bass IMHO.

John

(Edited to correct typo)

2. Yeah, lovely aren't they? I have one and I don't want any other bass.

3. Yup, great basses, once you try a Fender you generally don't want or need anything else!

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I completely agree, the MIM's are geat for the money - and make a perfect 'take it anywhere, leave it the car bass".

I've played a few standard MIA jazzes and there didnt seem to be that much diffrence to me either. I guess the wood is just that bit cheaper and the labour costs just that bit less?

...but I own a US deluxe 5 string p bass and believe the difference between the US deluxe and the MIM, and standard MIA's is huge. The finish is spot on, the neck is solid, the rosewood board is beautiful. On top of that when you get it new it feels comepletely worn in. The eg on is really versatile and the neck pickup whoa there, it's a really strong sound and you can dial up a whole range of different tones from it - all of which are very usable imo.

I think the biggest step in fender basses is between the standard and deluxe models - try one of the deluxe's they really are nice :)

the 5 string p is a bit too heavy for a long session tho..

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have a MIM Jazz that I love! It plays and sounds great. I bought a black one with a white pickguard that was upgraded to EMG pickups and an active preamp and it growls like a mutha!

I'm going for the Geddy Lee look, so I put a Badass II bridge on it and I just bought a 70s vintage Japanese bound, block inlay, maple neck to put on it.

But for the money, it really plays and sounds great. The only issues i have seen concern neck warpage and noisy stock pickups. But if you can make the right deals on parts, you can upgrade
    and have a very nice bass for not a lotta bread.

Once finished, my bass will have had a grand total of 400 bucks put into it, including original purchase. So it's essentially an active Geddy Lee for a lower price. :D

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I agree, I own 2 mim jazz basses, and I just love to play them. I have a Deluxe 5 string Jazz and a
    lined Fretless Jazz, I did change the pickups in the fretless over to Seymore Duncans.As far as price I paid $479 for the 5 string with a fender gig bag, and paid $250 for the Fretless, got it at a scratch & dent sale, had a little scratch on the bottom.I bought both in 1998 and have had no problems with the neck's or anything else.[​IMG]

7. MIMs have no string-through, cheaper pickups, cheaper hardware, no graphite reinforcement bars in the neck, cheaper-looking finish (especially visible on the sunbursts where the orange tint is sometimes brutal). Mexican labor is also much cheaper, but that's a good thing.

It's a good stripped-down version of a MIA. But it's not a great instrument. In my experience, MIM necks move too much with seasonal changes (it's Canada here) so I've never kept one for long.

8. I'mma have to disagree... While I do agree that these are very good basses for the money, I do feel that they are still a little expensive (here, at least) and do not match the quality* of the MIA/CIJ basses!

A few weeks ago I sat down in the music shop, and tried 4-5 MIM Jazzes. Neck was nice, 1 or defiantly needed new strings, the general set up was OK. Very little buzz in all the bass, the output is good, the feel was pretty nice, however I prefere the 'sanded fret affect'.

I started to get bored, so I asked the clerk to try out the MIA Jazz, he said 'that's cool lil man' and passed me a nice Teal colored beauty!

I plugged in, very nice. The tone was so much more shaped, using the same amp & EQ settings. The sound was deeper, the pickups gave even more output. The neck was thinner, or at least felt nicer. The neck was defianlty different. I felt I could get around on it easier.

About a week later, I tried out yet another MIM P-bass for 5 mins, can't remember much about that! I then asked to try out the CIJ Marcus Milla'.. Oo la laaaa!
    This thing rocked! The strings were crud, however, the neck was even slimmer than the MIA, and setup was almost ace!
    The sound was perhaps a little thiner, but I didn't get to mess around with the EQ that much before I had to leave.

* = I don't mean that the MIM's are falling apart, I just mean the more you pay, the more you get...

However, I still believe that I'm being ripped off, considering that CIJ & MIA were £800-900, with no case or chords! Even without that stuff, £900?! :rolleyes:

My solution? Scout ebay every day and lok out for a Grabber !!!

:smug:

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    *Hugs his MIM J* My precious...

10. So you changed the pickups, preamp, bridge, and neck...........can it still be considered a 'MIM' bass? what's left? the body and pickguard? maybe a few screws?