Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried a MM dual Humbucker tonight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Jan 2, 2006.

1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I know they've been around for a little while, but I've finally had the chance to play one tonight at Guitar Center. I'm not really sure if it was a Sterling or a Stingray. I didn't get a ruler out to do measurements, but it felt a little smaller like a Sterling yet it had the metal plate under the controls like a Stingray. Whatever it was, it played very nicely.

I could never get past the Bongo's looks or the painted neck, but I liked the idea of dual humbuckers. Well, this model gives that with the classic looks. Sure, it doesn't have the electronics of the bongo, but that's no biggie to me. It did have the compensated nut like the bongo. No idea if it helped intonation or not, I never really had a problem with intonation on non-compensated nut basses. I guess you would have to get out a tuner to really see a difference.

Playability was great. The neck feels slick, the frets were perfect and action was top notch.

I didn't have a pickup selector chart there so I didn't really know what each of the 5 positions were when playing. 1 and 5 most logically would have been the bridge or neck soloed, respectively. I really, really liked the neck pickup soloed. The classic MM sound, but warmer.

Now that I know what the selector positions do, I need to go back and try it some more. Great bass!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It was probably a stingray because the sterlings arent really out yet.

3. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Must have been a new arrival. :rolleyes: *insert guitar center bashing editorial here*

4. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Whats the difference between Sterling and Stingray besides the pickguard?

5. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Yeah, new arrival. It kills me when I go to the acoustic guitar primo room and see kids strumming away on the $3k guitars.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sterling has a smaller body and it is a little differnt shape. Sterling has a skinnier neck. Sterling has way different electronics and a different preamp.

7. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    As far as the HH versions, I think this covers the differences:

Stingray
    Alnico pole pickups
    Stingray preamp
    Bigger body
    Wider Stingray neck
    Ray pickguard shape
    Chrome control plate

Sterling
    Ceramic magnet/Steel pole pickups
    Sterling preamp
    Smaller body
    Narrower Sterling neck
    Sterling pickguard shape
    No control plate on the front of the bass

8. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Good info. I didn't realize there was that much difference.

9. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Cyber... all I gotta say to you is this: "You lucky Bohemian!" :hyper:

You see... I be jonesing for an EB MM SR-5 HH like a grizzly bear crazed by a whiff of bee honey... ;)

I thank you for your particular point-of-view, and here's hoping some other TBer might chime-in with his/her trial at one. Always good to get that second opinion... you know what I mean? It will be a cold day in hell before one of these axes get out here to Paradise for me to trial. Most likely I'll just have to buy one from Musician's Friend, or Bass Central, and then hope I like it... but thanks again! I'll be watching this tread... :eyebrow:

10. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Keeaumoku -- let's see... waking up everyday in paradise or easier access to basses at Guitar Center... I'll trade ya'!! ;)

I have a 5 string StingRay and I guess that you would have to give up the parallel and single/phantom sound if you bought a HH version. But 99% of the time I use the series setting on my MM SR5. I might go back tomorrow to try it again if I have some spare time. This time I'll have some more info to use and be more objective.

11. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    well i messed around with a dual humbucker sr5 (unplugged) and was very impressed by the placement and looks... i can only assume it sounded as good as any other stingray :bassist:

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Nah, you give up the series and phantom/single.

13. I need to make a trip to GC someday soon...

14. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Also, the the Sterling has one more fret.

15. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    (Position 1 is towards the bridge, Position 5 is towards the neck)

1 - Bridge pickup only, traditional Stingray sound (pickup is in the exact same spot as a single pickup Stingray)

2 - Outer coils only on each pickup

3 - Both pickup on 'full'

4 - Inner coils only on each pickup

5 - Neck pickup only

16. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    CRAZY TRAIN! IRON MAN! RAWK!

:scowl:

17. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Ok, went back tonight to get another fix of Dual HH bliss. I also realized a great way to determine if it's a Stingray or a Sterling -- look at the hang tag. Doh!

I only had 15 minutes or so before closing but I think I love this bass. It has quite a bit of versatility with the HH / 5 position switch / 3 band EQ.

One thing that I'm realizing about the MM and I'm not sure if it's the pickup, the preamp or a combination, but it seems like you can get both a great fingerstyle and a great slap sound without having to play around with settings. Maybe there's an elf inside that adds just a bit of treble shimmer when you start to slap and cuts it back when you go back to fingerstyle.

Anyways, great bass. If you get a chance, definitely try one.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can get a great fingerstyle and slap tone with any EBMM. You've just discovered the magic.

I leave my tone controls and preamp settings alone on my sterling, and i can get many different tones, just by my right hand.

19. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    That's always been one of my strongest reasons for liking Stingrays. I've been playing Stingrays for twenty years, and I almost never find myself reaching for the tone controls like I do on most other basses. I don't slap a lot, but when I do I don't like feeling I have to reach down and cut the mids. On a Stingray, it always sounds great. (Well that, and all my Stingrays are 2-band)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has noticed this!!

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I should stay away from this forum.

I'm starting to get some big-time GAS for one of these. I'm pretty happy I got the Lakland DJ5 last year instead of the SR5, because I'd be kicking myself for not waiting for the HH models to be released.

I'm tempted to make a lame joke about gymnasts here, but I'll refrain and just limit it to the simple statement that I like flexibility. :D