Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried a Rat Fink ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, May 30, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I believe you usually get what you pay for.....BUT....has anyone tried a Lace Rat Fink yet???

Looks like it could be fun with a fuzz box/overdrive!

[​IMG]

2. Haven't ever tried one, but I did see one in a mail order catalogue that my dad gets. Seemed kind of weird, especially since the catalogue was auto accessories, but still quite different. Kind of like the reversed tuners.

jtbp

3. I saw these in June's issue of Bass Player.

Hey, they look so radical, they just might make it. That tiny pickguard kills me; could they make it any smaller? :D

About the reversed headstock: I wonder if most E strings would be long enough for that long stretch
    to the headstock?

You gotta admit: It's inexpensive and different.
    Could be the formula for success.

Mike

4. looks like a wonnabe wish bass to me :spit:

Tom

5. I don't think any bass wants to be a wishbass. :D

6. rickbass

I think that's why you see so many people playing Thunderbirds and the wannabe Epiphone T-Birds these days, Joel. If nothing else, they help you get noticed and if you use them on crazy loud songs, tone doesn't matter so much.

I dig `em mainly because I think if I see one more Jazz-clone bass added to the 3,832 that are already on the market, I think I'm gonna heave.

I figure for the low price of the Rat Fink, I might even drop an EMG pup in it, throw on a swirl aluminum pickguard, plus one of those cheap Fretloard lighting systems for the fretboard (one type show below) and have a little fun.

[​IMG]

7. Donkeybass

Donkeybass

May 13, 2003
    Odessa, TX
    That has to be one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Simple... Elegant...Refined... I dont guess I have ever seen anything like that. And it would definatley match up with the craziness of the bass!

RT

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I already have. :eek:

I mean, say what you will about Basslab, FBB, and other "fugly" bass companies, at least they're unique. I mean, I can look at a say, a JP (not fugly in the slightest) and go "Oh, nice JP you got there!" but, aside from a headstock closeup, I can't tell a Sadowsky from a Lull from a Celinder from a Warmoth.

Same goes for the singlecut craze. Fodera? R Bass? Benavete? I'd rather have something a bit more distinctive than just a "super jazz."

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LOL. I feel your nausea too, man.

I dig the RF bass, but I also agree with BP where they said they wished it was even weirder looking. The manufacturer claimed that some weirder models are in the works... I'm looking forward to those.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

And speaking of weirder: how about a 1-over-3 headstock? I don't think I've ever seen one of those, and that might solve any length problems for the E-string!

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I can't say 1 over 3, but I can vouch for 1 over 4!

[​IMG]

12. rickbass

I remember reading that, too, Fuzz. And that struck me as " "so weird" in the sense that Ned Steinberger and Rick Turner, among others, have alluded to the fact that we bassists are so "out there" when it comes to designs. From my experience, guitarists are the ones who dig in their heels and resist if an instrument doesn't look like a Strat/PRS/LP. But, from my looking at the market since the 60's, guitarists will accept the most assinine paint jobs or even crap like this thing with round "gas meter" thingies on it (below) -

[​IMG]

So, what I'm saying is - based on my experience, many of we bassists like innovation as long as it isn't superficial......kinda like what Brendan says about the Basslabs (a bass I would truly love to own if only I could afford one!).

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    heh, Rick, both of us posted Schecter pics. Say what you will about them, but when they make a custom shop model, they are CUSTOM shop models. That's Mike Tempesta sig guitar rocks my socks, man. If I could get a bass like that...well, I'd have a bass like that, but at least it's be uniqe.