Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried a Thumb bass last week

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Mar 26, 2005.

1. I was checking out basses at a local store and I test drove a Warwick Thumb neck-through. Really nice, played and sounded great. Even my friend, who's somewhat of a traditionalist and a Fender man, liked the sound. It didn't have the usual dead spots on the G string and the action was alot better than the Fenders I tried, which were setup with very high action for some reason.

It was tempting, but the frugal part of me said "I don't need another bass". It also wasn't cheap (over 3000 Canadian $$) so at that price I'd check out other basses. Still, it would make a nice addition.

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thumbs are pretty nice. I tried one out recently too.

I constantly have this on-again/ off-again GAS for Warwicks. Even when I get practical and think about how I can get a better bass for the amount of money 'wicks go for... a good CUSTOM bass for the amount 'wicks go for... I still somehow hop back on the Warwick wagon.

Anyway, I'd heard that the ovangkol necks were ungainly, but I wanted to see for myself. When I test drove a Thumb bolt-on 5 at a music store a few weeks back, I quite enjoyed it. The thicker neck was quite comfortable for me, as playing certain lines on my current bass's thin neck hurts my fretting hand more than it would on a thicker neck.

I normally don't like the Thumb's body shape, but the compact size and carved/contoured back fit me nicely. It was heavy, but no heavier than my Samick 6. Good sounds too. I could get a good variety of sounds that still manage to retain the Thumb character.

If neck-through or even bolt-on Thumb 6-strings weren't so darned expensive, I'd love one. There's always used, but 6's aren't as widely available on the used market as 4's and 5's.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Warwicks are cool, I love the sound, the look on some, but generally HATE the feel. If you love it, go for it.

4. Ostur

Ostur

Dec 21, 2004
    I absolutly love warwick thumb basses especially the bolt on 5's,and alot of players don't like the weight and the heavy neck but with the right strap I don't have a problem,they are somewhat string picky,the warwick strings don't do that bass justice,DR sunbeams and lowriders sound good on it,but with the sadowsky bright nickels it sounds awesome,basses are like women and the warwick thumbs are small, tight and right.

5. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    My next bass is either a Thumb 4 NT or a Streamer Stage II 5... both are awesome basses!

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Thumbs kick butt!

We should all have at least two!

:p

But seriously, I love mine.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah!

:D

Joe.

7. Man, they just don't do it for me. I know the flames will hit me here, but I just can't get into them.

Then again, I don't think Bongo's are ugly either.....