Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tried a TS9DX tube screamer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Aug 31, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    anyone tried a TS9DX ibanez tube screamer?

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes.

The popularity of this comes from guitarists who use this a boost and to add specific tone to their SOLO sounds especially in the higher registers. I found them to be useless for bass.

3. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I have one and love it for my guitar. But, as Ted said, it does what it does by pushing upper mids on a guitar. Great sound on a Tele, not so great on a bass.

I also own a lot of other distortion/overdrive pedals and found the "guitar" pedal I like the most with bass is the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. This is also the selection I use on by Boss GT-6B for an overdrive sound with that unit.

For a dedicated "bass" distortion sound, I prefer the MXR M-80 over everything else I have tried.

Hope that helps.

4. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    its strange but on the mod sites i keep reading that the ts9dx has extra bass boost in the turbo mode. which is why its better suited to bass than the normal TS9. what you think?

5. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Well, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have read others claim the Boss BD-2 is pure ass with a bass. Yet, I can find folks who agree with my opinion that it sounds great with a bass. So, while I don't think the TX9DX (in any of it's modes) sounds great with a bass, I could readily see others having a different take.

But this should be a pretty easy evaluation for you. That is a pretty common pedal, both in the stores and in guitarists' pedalboards. You should not have too much trouble getting your bass plugged into one for a few minutes to see if the sound is to your liking.

6. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    yea i just read on http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm "The BD-2 does not have the low-end loss that a tube screamer has so it stays nice and thick on the lows without getting flabby"
    so i think i'll go with one of these now instead! :hyper:

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Better than most other guitar distortions, but really not very good on bass. You loose the low-lows like you do with almost any guitar effect, and on the fatter setting it boosts the low mids a lot ... its not very attractive on bass.

For subtle grind I like the sansamp bass driver DI, and for full on distortion, I like the RAT.