Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried Accugroove 210L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Feb 1, 2004.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I had the chance to try an Accugroove with my QSC1602, Alembic F1-X, and fretted and fretless Modulus Q5's today.

I also was able to A/B it with my SWR Gol. Jr.

The Box:

Immediately noticeable is that this is one big 2x10 and it pretty much dwarfs the Gol. Jr. There's just a lot more happening inside the Accugroove with its 3-way compartmentalized design. The good news is that it's almost exactly the same weight as the Jr. at ~55lbs. and isn't bad to carry at all. As long as you have a hatchback or something it should not be a problem. Construction is excellent and from the outside, appears at least on par with the best cabs such as Epifani. It looks cool.

Power Handling:

It will take a bunch. The cabinet allows 8/4 ohm impedence switching, and I was running it at 4 ohms with my 1602 bridged mono and the cabinet was taking volume at 50% without batting an eye.

Sound:

Obviously, the most important part. I should warn you that my expectations had been worked way up. I have to say I was not immediately blown away - let me explain. I was expecting to have my socks knocked off, but what I heard was, well, pretty much the sound of my bass. This cabinet doesn't offer "ear junk food" like SWR - which is two scoops from the middle - and this can sound pretty good in the living room.

The Accugroove is aptly name in that it's very accurate. Very balanced across the spectrum, very neutral and natural, but not sterile. At first I thought my SWR was putting out more low-end, but I realized that it was just the tuning of the SWR playing tricks on me. The SWR Jr. puts off a nice low grunt, but it really rolls off on the last few notes on the B. The Accugroove doesn't have "grunt" - but rather accurately produces the last few notes at the same volume as the rest of the notes on the bass.

At first I felt I was "missing" something while playing the fretted. And I was - coloration. It didn't take long for me to get used to hearing my bass. Slapping wasn't as aggressive, but was more even. Finger style notes were also more even, and less cluttered/muddy. The fretless created the biggest quality delta - with Accugroove you really get the nuance of every aural detail of every mwah.

The tweeter(s) on the Accugroove blows SWR away - no contest, but then again the SWR tweeter is pretty much a joke. Let me just say that the Accugroove tweeter is the best I've ever heard - balanced with rest of cabinet and no SWR-hiss. At least as good as Epifani. My Modulus does produce hiss w/ the highs up, which came through, but this was not a function of the tweeters.

In terms of volume, the Accugroove was the hands down winner. Not surprising considering its power handling and additional 6" speaker. Moreover, the Accugroove didn't break up at high volumes. It retained the even sound of my bass.

My thoughts:

Again, this cab is aptly named. It is really accurate even at high volumes. It's a bigger box, but it is probably all a player needs for all but the biggest gigs. It's solidly built and the weight is remarkable for it's size.

It really all comes down to what you want from a cabinet. If you want to hear the sound of your bass accurately through the spectrum, and you want it in a single light package, this might be the cabinet for you. If you're hooked on "ear junk food", you might be left craving your aural fix. A colored cabinet can sound like it has more "balls" ..

Pros:

Solid box, highly accurate sound, accurate down to low B, good power handling, high volumes without breaking up, light weight, sweet tweeters, 4/8 ohm switch

Cons:

Aint cheap, big box (though light), need good power, if you like colored boxes, this isn't for you

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks for the comments. Keep in mind that if you want some "coloration", all that's needed is to adjust your tone controls accordingly. In some playing situations, a completely flat tone is wonderful, but in most live situations you'll need to make tonal adjustments to cut through the rest of the band and work with the room acoustics. The nice thing about Accugroove and other well-designed cabinets is that they allow you to start from neutral. I've owned too many cabinets where I'm consantly fighting the inherent coloration of the cab to get the tone I want.

JD

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Good point. I wouldn't call EQ'ing "coloration" though; IMHO cab coloration (SWR scoop, Eden XLT mid-low hump) just sounds different than tweaking EQ. But it's definitely true the Accugroove is a swiss army knife cab application.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have tried to develop my rig to the point where I wasn't having to EQ to get my bass/amp/cabs to sound the way I wanted them to, and to leave EQ for room adjustments. I had initially reached this point when using my Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 and Eden 212XLT, and up through my Epifani and EA cabs, I still pretty much dug my sound of my primary bass (Gibson Thunderbird) with the EQ set flat, and I would use the EQ for room adjustments, feedback control, and getting my other basses to sound to my liking.

Then along comes Accugroove and blows my approach out of the water! I totally agree with CaptainWally's assessment (very good post!), and I have had some discussions with Mark Wright regarding the sound of my Whappo, Jr. Mark is the one who told me that the Accugrooves are designed to be like a blank slate (my words, not his) that you can build you tone upon. It responds marvelously to EQ (within reason, of course), and remains full and balanced pretty much no matter what you do. I have found that a slight tweak in the upper mids and high end get me right where I want to go, and yields the smoothest tone I have ever had.

I would love to get a Tri 210L to sit atop my Whappo, Jr.!

Later, Tom.

5. Any thoughts on what a pair of AG Tri-110's - or a AG Tri-110 and Tri-112 - would sound like against the 210L ??

6. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    2 Tri 110L cabs would have a slightly more upper mids & highs, due to having two 6" & four tweeters. (unless you dialed their volume down)

1 Tri 112L & 1 Tri 110L would have the same effect as above with slightly less mid bass & slightly more lower mid bass.

Make sense?

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Tried a 2x10L today...AMAZING cab!

I went through an Aguilar 750 & an MTD635(wenge neck & board/tulip body).

With the eq flat it sounded open & crystal clear all the way up & down the board. I tweaked the settings & set the mid & tweeter attenuators wide open & it still sounded sweet as could be! NO harshness or overbearing tones.

It was similar to an EA2x10VL, but a bit tighter in the mid's & maybe not as strong in the very low end but over all, it sounded even & clear without any "bumps" in the freq' range. The highs were not sterile but very present & smooth that worked extremely well with the mid driver, no cancellation or stomping on each other.

The other beautiful side to it was the weight! One handed carry to your car gig's IS possible, albeit the size is bigger than your average 2x10, it also has provisions for slip in casters(a +).

Definetly suprised me, & by far the best Accugroove design I've tried/owned. I will aquire one as soon as possible...

~S~

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Where did you do the comparison? Gelb?

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Nice review! I just emailed Mark some questions on the El Whappo Grande. I'm really hoping it will be the answer to my dreams. I've had a lot of good luck in finding great basses, but my success with amps is quite the opposite. My Read Custom Purity preamp is the tops IMHO, but the rest of my set-up is really ticking me off. It's time to go back to the drawing board for me.

-Art

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    The tri 210 is my fav accugroove cab as well. Just as described above. And it gets louder than epi and other 210's Ive tried before it breaks up.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Encouraging thread considering I'm awaiting delivery of my Whappo Jr. next week! ;)

Thanks for the well-done review CaptainWally. I considered the 210L long and hard but chose the Whappo Jr. for a number of reasons. Doesn't mean I won't end up with the 210 one of these days, too, however. :cool:

12. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Yes.

Encouraging - I am awaiting a Tri112 next week. It should be there when I get back from South Africa. Right Mark?

Hallgeir

13. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Hallgeir, it's shipping on Monday & will be there brfore the end of the week. Have a safe trip from Africa.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    With your level of experience with "single cab solutions", I am very interested to hear your thoughts on the Whappo, Jr.! I should warn you, though, it gets even better when you pair it up with a Tri 210L! :bassist:

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No doubt, Tom! Assuming no shipping delays, I intend to gig it this weekend and will post thoughts after.

16. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Friday I was able to fire up two Tri 210L cabs with a Glock Art head; it was pure bliss!

Has anyone else tried two Tri 210L cabs?

Mark
    AccuGroove Pro Cabs

17. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...with a Glock...I WISH!...

~S~

18. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Anyone try an El Whappo in a heavy rock situation? I think it would be better than lugging around the ol' 4x10 and 1x15.

Al

19. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    There are a lot of professional touring artist & weekend warriors that use them in a heavy rock situation.

As a matter of fact, I asked Myron Dove what he though we should do to make a cabinet geared specifically for rock. Myron just laughed & said that the El Whappo was already THE answer. 95% of the players use just one (replacing their 4x10 or 8x10), although we do have players that will use two.

There have only been two players I'm aware (out of hundreds) of that did not like it for rock. We've found that it's always the amp head or the power amp/preamp that were not adequate or were dialed in wrong. Heck, most players don’t dial their amps in correctly no matter what they use.

Lastly, these cabs are chameleons. Just touch your EQ on the bass & or amp & they’ll do what you need. The Bill Dickens 212 & Whappo Jr. are equally great for rock.

Hope this helps a little.
    Mark
    AccuGroove Pro Speakers

20. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    It sure does! I've been eyeing them up for while. Trying my best to save the bones.

Thanks for the response.

Respectfully,
    Alan