Tried Ampeg SVT3pro and GB Shuttle 6.0. What now?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by randysmojo, Oct 15, 2011.

1. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I've been playing on an Ampeg SVT-3pro for a couple of months and although I can get some pretty good tones out,of it, it's just not articulate enough for my taste. A friend letter me borrow his Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 this weekend to try, and although it definitely had the articulation I want, it was too hifi sounding. Can anyone tell me what amps would get a faster articulation with a warmer tone? Somewhere between the Ampeg and Genz? I've seen a GK 700RB and an SWR 550X at a local shop, but I never have the time to drag my gear in and try different amps out. I'm not limited to those either. Just a starting point to get some thoughts going. THANKS!!

2. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Not sure what style of music you are playing or cab you are using, but you might look at the GK 700RB-II. I bought mine used for $325. They pop up on the TB classified now and then too. Listen to some of the stuff Norm Stockton has done and he uses a GK RB series as well as many others. I think you would call it articulate. Part of the reason I say this amp, is it sounds different than the ampeg and shuttle. Maybe falling a little closer to the shuttle 6 end of the tone spectrum but with a little more bottom end to my ears. The GK is also a workhorse amp.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa M6 Carbine.

4. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    ^^^^This is a damn good amp too!

5. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I'm using a Genz Benz NeoX-212T cabinet and playing different styles. Country, classic rock, blues, r&b, and I'm starting to work on jazz, and funk a lot.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm wondering if the OP ran the preamp up to or near max on the Shuttle to get some tube sound. That makes a big difference with that amp.

7. Crank the Tube Gain high and see what happens. In the band context - I can barely hear the difference between 10 and 14 o'clock, but the difference in the band is really BIG.

8. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I played my 700RB-II through that cab at a TB GTG and it sounded pretty damn good. Again not sure if that's the sound your looking for but it sounded good.

9. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Or try a Tech 21 VT bass pedal in tine with your shuttle 6...

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GK700RBII should put a smile on your face.

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

G-K Fusion 550 might do naughty things to you.....

12. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I had the tube gain around 11 o'clock. I will try it again tonight with it up to around 2 o'clock as long as it stays clean.

13. Cab choice is crucial.

S

14. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Another suggestion. Don't be afraid to work the EQ on whatever amp you're trying. With one of my basses into my genz benz shuttle, I EQ the crap out of the mids and the highs, but it gets me a great sound in the end so it doesn't bother me.

15. The more tube gain you set, the clearer the sound is. More tube gain - more clear, dynamic and sterile the sound is.
    Don't be afraid to crank it all the way up - many players use it like this, but for me is too "hi-fi" - thats why I set it at 2 o'clock.

16. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I tried it ataround 2 o'clock last night and it gain that tube softness of the ampeg. Actually too much so I dialed it back to 1 o'clock. That was perfect!!! One thing I still don't under stand is the higher the tube gain the more hifi. I originally had the tube gain at. About 10 o'clock when I looked last night. That was real hifi sounding to me and when I turned it up to 1 o'clock it lost some of that. Past 2 it might get tighter again, I don't know. The suggestion to try it at 2 made all the difference for me and has made this my next amp choice for sure now!!!!!

17. With different basses, different cabs, in different rooms that may vary.
    The difference may be sublte to ears when listening to bass solo, but it's very powerfull in a band mix. Don't be afraid to try different settings, you can't damage or overload your ampg, even using extreme "tube gain' settings :)

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    For accuracy, the higher the tube gain, the LESS hi-fi and the more tube-ish sounding. The lower the tube gain the MORE hi-fi.

19. Nope. It is just the opposite - the more tube gain you set (it's plate voltage to be precise) the more open, punchy and hi-fi (more "solid statey" instead of "tubey") the sound becomes.
    Just watch this video (2:10):
    Ampeg's SVT-3pro Bass Head - YouTube

You jsut have to find tthe correct setting in the band context. I find the tube gain all the way up too sterile for me.

20. You guys are both right - and talking about different things. AH is talking about preamp gain - far left.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021