Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried an Aguilar 4x12 today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 19, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Was shopping for some drum stuff, and saw that they moved the bass dept. up behind the drum dept.

and lo & behold, they had a sweeeet looking tower of Aguilar 4x12 action, complete with a DB750. i did have a good hour to kill for lunch, but ended up staying there the whole time.

asked for the vintage '70s Music Man & Ken Smith BR5 and went to town! right off the bat, you can just feeeeel the amazing low end. its literally like the GS112 thick, churny molasses sweetness x4! all my notes literally had that complex, burnished, low mid girth you can feel.

but i gotta say, there werent nearly enough highs for me. almost muffled. like my past experiences with my old GS112, i thought the lack of volume made it seem so, but even opening it up from 3 to 8 on the master, it was still a little too dark for me. the salesman also had a DB359 hooked up to an accompanying GS410, and that was much clearer and more open sounding.

slapping with the 4x12 was like a punch to the gut, while with the 4x10, it was more cutting and articulate.

but overall, if you're looking for a killer rock cab that'll growl and churn with the best of 'em, this is it!

i can only imagine what it'd be like running 2000 watts thru either a Bergie 6x10 or Epifani 6x10 together with the Aguilar 4x12~!!!!

.......faints............

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Man, I wish there were Aguilar dealers out near me, I've been dying to try some Aggie cabs.

Just wondering, based on your experiences with Aguilar cabs, do you think pairing a GS410 with a GS212 would give a good combination of both the gut-punching lows and clear articulation?

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i was in the market for a 610 when aguilar released this bohemoth... i like the volume, depth, power capabilities, weight, tonal capabilities, and price tag that come with this cab! not to mention that it will fit perfectly in the back of the honda crv i'm also getting! ;) i may still get the 610 later on as well... but i have to have this cab!!! :eek:

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Joker,

What's up! Which shop did you try these at? I tried a 1x12 & thought the same as you about Aguilar's 12" speakers. That Epi 6x10 hasn't stopped haunting me along with the Epi pre. Anyway, I'm still selling my Berg 6x10 for a ??? It's a great cab but I can't utilize its worth. See ya soon...

later,
    EL DIABLO

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey Dev,

i was at Manny's of all places! was the only thing really worth checkin' out besides those basses i tried.

you're selling your 6x10? woah... give the Aggie's a try. they may fit the low end bill for you. dunno if they'd cut like the Epi's, but you may dig the sound.

6. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Would you say the GS 412 was roughly the equivelent of four GS 112's stacked?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not really. with a pair of GS112's, the extra tweeter gave a really nice airyness and open feel. adding two more cabs prolly makes it moreso. the 412 was much darker and more burnished sounding.

8. Hey Joker, I agree with you on the 412. I tried it out with the Aggie 750. Talk about THICK!!!!!!! It will shake the teeth out of you.

That would be a reggae mon's dream.

Big Joe, drive down to Guitar Villa in Nazareth if you haven't tried one.

DEV, thanks for the invite to try the Berg 610 but I'm pretty busy now don't know when I could get there.

Peace

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Psycho,

Just giving everyone a "heads up" before it goes to e-bay...

later,
    ~S~

10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks for the heads up! i've never been down there but i will try to. heard good things... ;)

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love Guitarvilla. everything else in the store is so-so, but then you walk into the bass dept, and its like, "BAM!" :eek:

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thanks emerill! :D