1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tried an Ampeg PFT50, didn't like it...will i like the V4b?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Managed to finally try a PFT50T head coupled with a PF410HLF cab and wasn't too impressed by it. It sounded slightly too muddy for me, like it had a wet blanket over the tone. Could it just be the cab or is it the tone of the head? I accept it was in a sound booth too so maybe not representative of true gig tone.

Anyway i've been thinking of getting a V4b but probably won't get to try one before i buy. Will i like it if i'm not fussed by the PFT50? Is it just the cab i tried that's "muddy"?

I have an Ashdown LB30 all tube which sounds way flatter (although i'm using it with a Barefaced Supertwin 2x12 cab). BTW, i like a flat tone with occasional grind.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Probably the cab, the HLF cabs are known for being a bit scooped and hefty on the low end.

The V4B is dead flat with the knobs at noon, the baxandall + active mid EQ that ampeg uses is inherently flat at noon versus the mid scooped FMV tone stack in the ashdown. Not sure how the voicing of the PF-50T is versus the V4B, the PF series solid states seem to have a bit of a low mid bump to me.

3. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    How much time did you spend with the pf-50t ?

4. Try it with your Barefaced cabinet to get a better idea of how it compares to your Ashdown. I really like the sound of my mine, but have never heard one through a PF410HLF. The PF50T is such a nice amp, lowplaces bought two of them.

5. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I didn't keep my PF410HLF very long - it's been a while, but if I remember correctly, I thought is was a bit muddy.

I recently got to try a PF50T with a PF115HE and it was very articulate.

So, my guess is it was either the cab or you didn't find the settings that you wanted to hear.

6. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    The PF50T and V4B sound quite similar.
    As others have stated, it's probably the cab that you don't like.
    test the amp with some other cabs and you will know.

Jaycephas and Michael Schreiber like this.
  7. Agreed. The V4B is ANYTHING but muddy sounding. Depending on the cab used. ..tweeter etc. .. it can be sparkling with highs.
    Haven't tried the PF50T but I'd imagine that it's similar to the V4B. ... cab most likely culprit in this case. . Or even a malfunctioning amp. ..as a possibility

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  8. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    New Jersey US
    I tried the V4B with a 410hlf when I was shopping the V4B. I agree it was muddy sounding. But it's was the 410hlf.

I use my V4B with my Barefaced BB2's. It sounds amazing with great fullness in the lows, and clarity in the highs. Don't go by the 410hlf.

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  9. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I have a pf50t and it sounds great through most of my cabs but best through a sealed cab. I tried it through my 410hlf and didn't really like the sound either. With the bass turned as low as it would go and with mids boosted it still sounded too deep through that cab. I just don't like that cab with any tube head.

rllefebv likes this.
  10. Michael Schreiber

Michael Schreiber Commercial User

Oct 14, 2014
    Kassel / Germany
    www.frau-kapitaen.com
    Same as @Dp1363 for me; tried the V-4B with many cabs, also a 410HLF but found it too boomy and muddy.
    It's really not the amp, it's the cab. The same V-4B sounded cool through 210/810 (my favorite tone), more trebly through a 212AV (with the horn on) and amazingly crystal clear through a PN-115.

@boristhespider7 Have you tried the PF-50T through the Barfaced cab?
    When you have, please let us know what you think of that combination. Would be cool to know!

11. otp57

otp57

Oct 10, 2016
    One thing you MUST remember is every one DON'T HAVE THE SAME HEARING.
    What sound muddy to you may sound good to others.
    You will just have to find the match for your ears.
    As for me It turn out to be a Hartke and I tried them all or most of them( I love the music stores)
    Just find you amp speakers the match your EARS AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.

12. Ampeg you say? Well...I got this...

"Paging Doctor JimmyM to this thread....Doctor JimmyM to this thread please." :thumbsup:

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You can tag him by doing this......

@JimmyM

I agree with the notion that it's the cab. Those things are super boomy to me (as is their 610).

@boristhespider7 I love my LB30 as well. Great little head. I have been seriously considering getting a beefier version of that head....maybe a CTM100 or CTM300....lately. Sure, it does the tube thing. But it had a nice mid range that cuts well. What are you looking for that the LB30 doesn't do?

14. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    What amp/cab are you currently using?

15. Yes I know, however I was just being funny yet helpful or at least trying to be.

16. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I thought you just had to say his name out loud three times while looking in the mirror...*
    *I have nothing relevant to add to this thread. :p

17. I have a PR-410HLF cab which can go way down low, not sure if it sounds similar to a PF-410HLF but all you have to do is back off on the bass control and I would try the amp outside of the sound room to get a realistic sound out of it, they usually have sound proofing in them which would suck up sound, usually dead sounding which can suck the life out of an amp.

18. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    has he surfaced on TB since the hurricane???

19. Ruh Roh! Where is he based, again?

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep, and on FB as well. He's fine.

NKBassman, JimmyM and Morrighan like this.