1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tried an Ibanez BTB405Q...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Jul 6, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey,

I played an Ibanez BTB405QMTK at a music store today and spent around 1/2 hour with it. It´s great. Very versatile. Although the B feels a bit floppy, it sounds great. Very defined and articulate.

The E.Q. is great. You can get a lot of tones from it from crispy slap tones to punchy, low p-bass style tones... really cool...

It looks pretty cool to, sometimes its completely black, sometimes black with gray, sometimes gray with black, sometimes a bit purpelish black...

A pretty cool bass...

Just wanted to let you know..

David

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Thanks for the info mate.

I am surpised that you find the b floppy as the BTB bass are suposed to have 35" necks. Lot of people on TB say that basses with longer necks usually have tighter b strings.

3. David, you think it's floppy? Oh man, you're going to have to look far and wide for a bass that has a better B string at any price. Maybe someone in the store put a crappy B on it. I just bought a Yamaha
    5 string, and while its B string is very good, the BTB's was tighter. Could it have been tuned to low A?

Mike J.

4. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I played - and soon own - a Phantom Mephisto I (www.phantom-guitars.de), that had a tighter B. The b felt like it was as tight as for example the E String.

But maybe I just thought the same.. the strings felt very bad, too...

David

5. The Navigator

The Navigator

May 17, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    I played on the other day at the store also. The B was a light gauge, but it was just as floppy as most Bs.

I love that bass though. It plays like a wet dream.

6. David, that Phantom really looks nice.

Navigator, the two BTBs that I played had those Ibanez hybrid copper/stainless strings on them. Maybe that was the reason. They are not easy on the fingers.

Mike J.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I tried 405 today enough to consider trading my Yamaha for it. The strings were standard nickels tho, and the B was bit floppy. Or perhaps it's just because I'm not very used to B string. Frets were very nice tho, quite wide and quite flat too. I really liked that vari-mid EQ too.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This is unusual, because mine is so tight that I put LaBella Supersteps on it just so they'll feel a bit looser!

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I agree, it is very unusual to hear comments about any BTB with a floppy B string.

I play every 405, 406, 505, 1005 and 1006 that I run across, some with the stock strings, some with stainless, and every one that I have tounched has a great B string.

10. Floppy B? The B on the one's i've tried were as tight as any E I've played! I don't know if they're like a wet dream, those are pretty hard to beat. Awful messy though:D

Speaking of ibanez, I just went to a newly built guitar center and tried an EBD600. AWESOME. Ibanez seems to be making some damn good basses these days.