Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried an Ibanez BTB405Q...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Jul 6, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey,

I played an Ibanez BTB405QMTK at a music store today and spent around 1/2 hour with it. It´s great. Very versatile. Although the B feels a bit floppy, it sounds great. Very defined and articulate.

The E.Q. is great. You can get a lot of tones from it from crispy slap tones to punchy, low p-bass style tones... really cool...

It looks pretty cool to, sometimes its completely black, sometimes black with gray, sometimes gray with black, sometimes a bit purpelish black...

A pretty cool bass...

Just wanted to let you know..

David

2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Thanks for the info mate.

I am surpised that you find the b floppy as the BTB bass are suposed to have 35" necks. Lot of people on TB say that basses with longer necks usually have tighter b strings.

3. David, you think it's floppy? Oh man, you're going to have to look far and wide for a bass that has a better B string at any price. Maybe someone in the store put a crappy B on it. I just bought a Yamaha
    5 string, and while its B string is very good, the BTB's was tighter. Could it have been tuned to low A?

Mike J.

4. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I played - and soon own - a Phantom Mephisto I (www.phantom-guitars.de), that had a tighter B. The b felt like it was as tight as for example the E String.

But maybe I just thought the same.. the strings felt very bad, too...

David

5. The Navigator

The Navigator

May 17, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    I played on the other day at the store also. The B was a light gauge, but it was just as floppy as most Bs.

I love that bass though. It plays like a wet dream.

6. David, that Phantom really looks nice.

Navigator, the two BTBs that I played had those Ibanez hybrid copper/stainless strings on them. Maybe that was the reason. They are not easy on the fingers.

Mike J.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I tried 405 today enough to consider trading my Yamaha for it. The strings were standard nickels tho, and the B was bit floppy. Or perhaps it's just because I'm not very used to B string. Frets were very nice tho, quite wide and quite flat too. I really liked that vari-mid EQ too.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This is unusual, because mine is so tight that I put LaBella Supersteps on it just so they'll feel a bit looser!

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree, it is very unusual to hear comments about any BTB with a floppy B string.

I play every 405, 406, 505, 1005 and 1006 that I run across, some with the stock strings, some with stainless, and every one that I have tounched has a great B string.

10. Floppy B? The B on the one's i've tried were as tight as any E I've played! I don't know if they're like a wet dream, those are pretty hard to beat. Awful messy though:D

Speaking of ibanez, I just went to a newly built guitar center and tried an EBD600. AWESOME. Ibanez seems to be making some damn good basses these days.