Tried Before?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassDodger, Aug 6, 2002.

1. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    I was doing some recording with the band this past weekend. We are going in a newer and "heavier" direction with our originals. The guitar player has himself a new toy- an effects pedal that detunes an entire octave. I have only 2 four-string basses, but I HAVE thought of this setup before:

I have a .130 for my Ibanez SB900LE that I had used for detuning to low D in another band (this band also detunes half-step overall). I took the .130 and tuned it to low B, the .105 tuned to E, the .85 tuned to A and the .60 tuned to D on this four string. It actually worked out quite well, but as you can imagine, the intonation on anything past the 6th fret was WAY off. I am think of adopting this setup for just this bass permanatly. What I have in essence done is, convert the 4 string into a five string without the G string.

I have borrowed a freind's Strobotuner and am now prepared to work on the intonation and action. I want to get some opinions, advice, and warnings from TalkBass members before I proceed...Has this been done before? Are there pitfalls I need to take heed of? Is it impossible? BTW- if this HAS been posted before, please link it because I have looked through the forums and can find no reference to it.

I also want to point out that I do not own a Five-string because I cannot afford one. The only really good five-stringers tend to be EXTREMELY expesive and I will not settle for something that isn't right to my feel. This may be the poor man's way to compensate....

Thanks for you time and postings in advance!
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    schecter makes a bass called the scorpion which is a 4 string tuned BEAD. If you don't want to buy one, you could at least check it out and compare differences between that and a standard 4 string.
  3. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    No- hehe, actually. I feel me inner newbie coming out again!... I DID see the BEAD posts, but I never put two and two together. I didn't read them because I didn't know THAT's what they were talking about- Thanks for posting the posts. I do aprciate your time in doing so- I will read up on it then- now that I know it has a name...(LOL@myself)