1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tried benz genz today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tramp, Sep 26, 2009.

1. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    I tried out a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 with the 210XB cab today. I thought the sound was great. The bottom was very clear and loud. Not muddy. The sound was better with an active bass but not as good with a passive bass. All of my basses are active. What do you guys think of this cab and amp together? The price is $1,100 for both.

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I don't think you will go wrong with that set up.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution

what passive bass did you use?...did you re-eq with the passive?

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I think more important then re eq'ing was did you get the gain set right for the passive bass?

5. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    The passive was a Fender Precision. I tried the passive first with 6 10's and it sounded great. But 6 10's is a little bit too heavy for me (pinched nerve in my back). Than we moved to the 210. The guy working the eq for me while I played was a bass player also. He could not dial in a sound that I liked with the passive. I told him all my basses were active with EMG's. So he pulled an active out and eq'd for the active and man what a difference. It was like everything came alive. My basses are - '77 precision with EMG's, '87 G&L SB1 with EMG's and a "06 G & L L2000. Do you think the $1,100 is in the ballpark? What I play on now is an SWR 115 Workingman Combo. At 160 watts, it sounds pretty good but I wanted something more power to get that clear bottom.

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    That's about a ballpark figure for both of those. Have you tried any of the other Genz cabs? The XB series have been out for some time now and the new Neo and Uber cabs might be better. Do a google search for prices on each of them.

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    It's possible the passive bass he used just didn't have the sound you like. It's also possible that the sound he was trying to get with the EQ was not a sound you like. Tastes vary, any your Precision with EMGs will sound different than a stock Precision.

I don't know the prices so can't comment on that. In general, Genz Benz products are excellent quality and very reliable. They also have some of the best customer service you will find.

8. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I have had EMG's in my Pbass since '84... it is a different tone than the stock pickup. I have been happy with the marriage of EMG's and GB. I love the 210 boxxes as well.