Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried Eden's Newly Redesigned 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 30, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, i saw/played one! and woah, not bad at all...

after needing a much deserved break from my little cousins here in DC for ThxGiving, i took a trip to Washington Music aka Chuck Levins aka Gear Paradiso.

yes, the staff can be a bit surly from the drum to guitar dept., but no matter. lucky me found a cord lying all by its lonesome. :p

so, i headed over to the pile of 1x12's they have in the corner, and lo & behold, there she was, a newly redesigned Eden 1x12... the famed 1x12XLT, i see on the website, but they never posted a link for. to be quite honest, my first reaction was, its like they took apart an Aguilar GS112, and said, "lets "Eden-ify it!" and results are pretty nice.

among the 1x12 pile was an Aguilar GS112, Genz-B Neo 1x12, Ampeg's Portabass 1x12, 2x10, 2x12, all loving connected to one of those GC head/cab switching boxes. heads were an Eden WT400 & Ampeg Portabass 250 (tho, i couldnt get it to work). what joy!

physically, the Eden looks alot like a 2x10XLT cut in half, and turned side ways. the port was on the left side, while the tweeter was on the upper right hand corner. height wise, it was only as tall as the speaker was wide. and its not nearly as long as the previous one we all saw in BP was. just wide enough to accomodate the speaker. again, its like they took the Aguilar box, made it look like an Eden, then cut the depth a few inches. size wise, was second smallest looking. the Ampeg Portabass 1x12 was the smallest. and just a wee bit shallower than the Aguilar.

but, what i loved most, was its light weight! had a very nifty snap handle just like the Aguilar's, but on the top. snapped away, so you can stack easily. and fun to lift with one hand. as you'll see, didnt really sound like neo speakers to me, but sure as heck could feel like it. and yes, stupid me, forgot to pick up the Genz Neo, to see if it was about as light. :meh:

anyhow, grabbed a very nice looking Ken Smith along the back Ken Smith wall. not too familiar with Kenny's (i know... :eek: ), but this one had what appeared to be dark walnut, and besides the usual EQ, 2 mini toggles.

first, fired up the Aguilar to acclimate my ears, and found it to be its dependable self. smoooooooooth, smokey, big, round, bold, like great bourbon... if, i ever knew what good bourbon tasted like. ;) a usual, familiar fav.

then tried the Eden, and was pleasantly surprised. good amount of upper mid definition, but NOT in that usual, albeit, a tad annoying Eden way. just a wee bit less. still, had a bit more hair down near the lower mids (wow, even typed, that sounds gross...) with a very punchie aggressive Eden feel, and a more present upper end. not my fav smooth voicing, i could definitely get used to it.

low B wise, it was ok. yes, just ok. the Aguilar was a bit more satisfying. sure, later when we find the specs, we could go on about frequencies they hit (aguilar does 42Hz), but from what i heard, the Aguilar went lower and felt deeper. still, the Eden trade's that off for an overall more punchie, and very present sound. would prolly easily cut thru nicely as a 1x12. to me, Eden's bag aint necessarily "lower is better", but rather, "cut, slice and dice your way thru the mix".

all in all, a VERY nice little package from Mr. Nordschow. need a nice 1x12 for smaller than small gigging? i wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone. customer service, nonwithstanding, seems like Dave took great liberties with the massive amounts of R&D money US Music affords. :p he wanted to make a splash, and the results are tidal enough to knock anyone out.

if anyone reading this is in the Silver Springs / Wheaton area outside of DC, go check it out!

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Cool thanks for the review. Just 2 nit picky things though... By R&B im guessing you mean Research and Development? And what has Fender's money got to do with it???

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I still dont understand what fender has to do with Eden. :confused:

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oooooooops,

meant Washburn aka US Music Corp! sorry, its really early here on the east cost... :meh:

besides, always got the crazy merging, consolidating mixed up.

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    NO need to apologise. I should have realised that it was early. So many companies getting bought and sold recently it has been kinda hard to follow.;)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    FYI,

found this at BC:

[​IMG]

pretty much put up on its side.

if you love that XLT sound, then this is your cab. in hindsight, if you dig the Aguilar GS112, but want more cut and slice, i'm sure these little beauties would serve you well.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Maker's Mark ain't too shabby, either.

But, with regard to the Eden cabs, if those were available a year ago, I may not have gone down the Epifani road (which in hindsight, I am very glad that I did). I have an Eden 212XLT, and have always liked it (except for when the cones disintegrated on me - though after talking to Dave N. himself, they replaced them, even though it was no longer under warranty).

At this point in time, though, I can hardly justify another bass cab, and I may even sell my 212XLT (two Epi T-112's can pretty much take its place). ;)

However, I do have one more special acquisition on the way. More on that later, though. :D

Tom.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    smash,

its been so long, i forget the pricing, but i'm pretty sure its comparable to what the Aggie's sell for. i've noticed alot of stores have them now, so give somebody a call.

as for the weight, again, its was noticibly lighter than the Aguilar. i'd say prolly 30-35 lbs.

tom, tom, tom...

did we not learn anything from GASFA (GAS'ed-Freaks-Anonymous)? :D

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes. What I learned, mainly, is that I am a hopeless addict! ;) When you see what I am getting, you'll understand...

:D

Tom.