1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tried fixing neck crack in finish with CA and the finish dissolved. What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fourstringdrums, Feb 18, 2018.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    So my fretless Sterling developed a neck pocket crack in the finish. I had read that you can fix it and at least keep it from getting worse or the piece from breaking off by using some water thin CA. So I bought some of this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUVARV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The good news is it worked. I got the cracked bonded down really well. The bad news is the finish where the glue pooled dissolved under the clear, so now it looks like this:

A learning experience of course. The bass is 17 years old and isn't free of other imperfections so it doesn't bother me that much (honestly if the finish and clear had broken off, that would have bothered me more). So what did I do wrong? Did I get the wrong glue?

20180218_193202.jpg

2. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    It's really strange. AFAIK cyano is very neutral if not thinned. I've used it over acrylic paint (water & alcohol based) and I've never experienced anything like that.

From the photo you show it seems that the cyano has run in between the lacquer and paint, hence the stain you got. My best bet.

fourstringdrums and JRA like this.