1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tried great, cheap bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Nov 11, 2001.

1. I was traveling this weekend, and had some time to kill at Mars Music in Fort Lauderdale, FL. So I tried out an astounding bass. It's a Mexican Fender 60's Jazz reissue. I couldn't believe this was a _Mexican_ Fender. I AB'ed it with an American Standard J, and this bass was livelier, with more high-end, better vintage vibe, a comfier neck, lighter weight. . . I could go on and on. Also, and this surprised me at a big chain store, the setup on the 60's reissue was excellent. . . although many of the basses there had the highest action imaginable. . . like I was trying to play tunes on a hunting bow!

2. They sound like a good deal. I like the "Vintage" vibe. Maybe someday I will have the guts to purchase another 4 string, and that one is looking pretty nice! I agree that big stores (we have a mars here) sometimes skip on the setup. There was a MIM P in there that had action about half an inch!

jtbp

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    In the same spirit, I played a Dean Rhapsody bass yesterday (The one-pickup hollowbody four-string) and it sounded fantastic. I picked it up out of curiosity, but was thoroughly impressed. I'm not sure about the $499 price tag, though.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Should be $399. I saw one for $299 at Victor Litz.

5. Yeah, some of the Deans are cool, too.

I just traded for a Jeff Berlin Standard, and it RULES: Bart soapbars, gold Badass bridge, graphite-reinforced neck, ebony board. The tone on the bridge pickup is the growliest I can even imagine! I actually had a choice of the Standard or the fancier one with an exotic top, and chose the Standard because the alder body sounded warmer to my ears.

I also played a fretless Dean at Guitar Villa, and found it to be impressive, as well.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The store where I saw it is very small. They probably have to charge more because they buy and sell less. Oh well.

still, $100 more is kinda steep. Yeesh...