Tried Limited Edition Stingray with 2 Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Dec 22, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Thoughts -

* Butter creme finish on limited edition is sweet

* The humbuckers really open up some tonal variety on the Stingray. The neck pickup can get some boom going. And combining them yields some interesting variations.

* The bridge pup by itself sounds a little different than the regular stingary pickup. Sounds great, but just a tad different. Like a cross between a bongo and a Stingary maybe.

* The pups are differently shaped - one of my minor gripes about MM pups is the 2 screws on the top limit the use of the pup for a thumb rest. The Stingary 5 pup is an exception. The two humbuckers on this bass were like Stingray 5 in this way - good thumb perches!

* Man - that thing is --- heavy. Like a good Stingray should be!

* Price was about $1400 - seemed like a pretty fair price for what you get.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really want to hear one. You just answered a big question for me though. I always figured that the sound would have to change if there were two pickups. That rear or bridge pickup would have to be moved and lose some of what makes a Stingray a Stingray. Ideally, it would be great to have a one pup and two pup Stingray.
  3. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I don't think the bridge pickup sounds any different inn the dual version. Any difference in sound should be minimal and may just be instrument to instrument variability that happens with all bases. I played both a 4HH and a 5HH and thought with bridge pickup soloed they sounded pretty much the same as their pickup challenged brethren.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'll just have to find time to play one myself! :bassist: