Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried my new 6'er at a gig last night

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Mar 4, 2004.

1. So last week i traded a fiver for a BTB 406QM. I used it last night at a gig and i got a lot of cool responses from people. I've always stayed away from active basses but i might be converted now. There was some SERIOUS low end coming out the front of house i was told. a couple of friends told me that i came REAL close to hitting the "brown note". I was told by the sound guy that he could actually feel my cutting through with some of the mids i had going too. So what i'm getting at is that my sound onstage was kinda.. well... muddy and farting like crazy. I run a GK 800RB through an older SVT410E and i'm thinking it's gotta be a cab issue. I ran the amp's controls basically flat and had the power amp about 12:00 and the volume the same or a little less. With my MIA jazz V i have no farting (even on the B. AND I boost the amp's power and tone sections for that bass) and i'm thinking i need a cab that can handle more juice. any thoughts?

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    congratulations:D pics please;)

3. i'll see about pics.. have no internet connection at home anymore.. only work, but you never saw me here ;)

4. ok i think i got one to work..

5. nope... pics too big.. i'll work on that. I was also told that my sound was heavy on the mids, a little too much clank, yet like i said it was real muddy onstage. monitors were fine, but the sound coming from my cab was definitely "fart mud"...

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well... Try Turning everything Down all the way (on the bass first) and then Micro adjusting it up untill you are happy with the Results...

BTB, They are Really good basses, I enjoy playing them VERY much.

Good luck

7. you know i tried that. i tried everything flat (not cut, just flat) and went from there. when i tried cutting it really didn't help much, i just lost a lot of volume.. I'm thinking my old cab just can't handle the beef this thing puts out. It's an older 250 watt (8ohm) SVT410E that must be about 10-12 years old at least. i ran my old B4R (before it was stolen) through the same cab a few times and got a similar kind of sound. I'm gonna try running it through my buddy's eden cab to see if it still is muddy going through a cab that is designed for more juice.. i'm still wrangling with the stack mid knobs to reduce the clank. but i'm definitely impressed with the neck construction, electronics, hardware, etc, but the finish is just killing me. i tapped it with my tuner and got a little ding in the finish.

Anybody ever try switching the neck to another body? or maybe i can find something similar to the higher end BTB bodies so i don't have to stress on the finish... any input here would be great :)

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It could have been that the stage or the room itself is really boomy. Also if the sound man was pushing you hard through the PA, you could have been getting bass from the PA cabs coming back at you. Have you played this room before?

9. definitely played the room before (Canes in San Diego). The sound was fine in the monitors. not really sure what it was. the bass sounded ok at rehearsal, but i don't think i had it cranked as hard.

Good observation Edwcdc.. after i try running the Eden cab i'll attack that option. The place holds more than a few hundred people and it was nowhere near capacity. could've been the sound bouncing back at me.. we play a smaller venue for St. Fatty's day and that will be my next test...