Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried out a Ibanez SB-7 Bass Synth pedal yesterday!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gfab333, Jun 16, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Well, no one responded to my post for sound bytes of this pedal, and the Ibanez web site didn't have any samples either. So, I went to the local music store and tried one out.

Without going into details on the various permutations of settings for the four knobs and two switches, here's what it sounded like...

I used an off the rack active Fender Jazz bass and one of those Fender 2-10 combo amps. When I first plugged in, it sounded pretty crappy, it had a shallow / hollow tone with an intense envelope filter effect and had no substance or body. After fooling around with the settings for about 5 minutes I managed to find two very usable settings, one being that out-of-control liquid funk envelope filter sound, and the second being that funky growling keyboard synthesizer tone used in Parliament's Flashlight.

I did notice that you need to adjust you're playing technique in order to get the most of using one of these pedals. Muted synchopated staccato notes played dynamically (sometimes really diggin' in, and sometimes not) seem to really make the effect give out that funky keyboard bass synth sound.

Looks like they retail about $129, and MF sells them for about $78. I have never tried the Boss bass synth pedal, so I can't make a comparison. For under $90, including shipping, I'd say that this pedal sounds good for the price if you're looking for that sound.

I did also checked out the Akai Deep Impact. That's also a good pedal, but it runs double the price of the Ibanez. about $180 at MF.

2. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I tried that boss one, and it was just like everyone says... horrible tracking. for the price of the boss bass synth you would think it would have decent tracking.

I have never tried the Deep Impact synth...how much better did you like it than the Ibanez, regardless of the price difference?

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I didn't have a chance to really check it out thoroughly, but IMHO it's only slightly better.

Tracking on both Deep Impact and the Ibanez was good. It kept up with my synchopated stuff and the 16th kind of riffs.

4. I've had my SB-7 for about a week, and the one thing that I've learned about its this: It HAS to be driven hard. I was running bass-SB7- MXR M80-amp, but then I switched the SB-7 and M-80 and it sounds MUCH better. With a little twaeking, it sounds pretty good. It's a lot of fu to mess around with, and I'm actually gonna use it, too.:D I was kinda wondering about that for a while.

5. o1x3w3a2h

o1x3w3a2h

Dec 14, 2001
    Cheektowaga, NY
    i like my SB-7, but i cant find a good use for the synth-2 setting.