Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried out an MTD K4 today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Mar 18, 2001.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I was cruising the local shops for used cabs today and saw a new MTD K4 on the wall. I had to plug it in and check it out. It felt pretty good, the action was set up reasonably low with no buzzing (at least playing in the store - playing with the band would be a whole 'nother test). It looked good (black w/rosewood board) although I can't say I'm that big a fan of the "swoopy" pickguard (even though I'm a fan of pickguards in general).

I had tried out a Fernandes Retrospect 4 earlier in the week at another shop (another nice Korean made axe) and thought they were comparable in feel and fit-and-finish. The MTD had a zero fret (which I think is a super feature) and a black folded metal bridge. It was pretty light and had what felt like a jazz-width neck.

It sounded good. Nice definition and zing. A little shy on the unnassisted low end (I'm used to my G&L - the only bass I've ever regularly turned down the bass on). Great clarity.

It's really making me think about what I want to trade in my abg for. I was thinking Epi JC sig but now I may have to go with a solid-body single-pickup model (either the K4 or go for the G&L L-1500 since I like the G&L neck and feel better).

All in all I think the K4 is a great value for the $409 the shop wanted for it - if I get impatient saving up for my next new bass I may take my abg and some dollars back and bring it home (I'd have to swap the mop pickguard for tortoise but that's a personal problem).

2. I had been hearing about the option of no pickguard but stores kept telling me it wasn't an option. Well here's the real deal straight from the bearded builder himself. You can get an MTD Kingston without a pickguard, however there is a catch. The only way to get it without the pickguard is to order the flamed maple top, which currently only comes in one finish, sunburst.

He said there are talks about offering solid colors without pickguards but not right away, for now the truss adjustment is under tha gaurd on solid color models.

Just figured I'd let ya know in case anyone cares.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A solid color pickguard might not be too bad. It looks like an excellent hotrod platform (second pickup, U-retro or bart preamp, etc.)

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's a pickguard-less K4 for sale at bassalone. Pretty good looking instrument for around $600 IMO.

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I took the guard off my K5 about a week after I got it.I found a wood stain close to the color of the fretboard and applied it to the part of the neck that joins the body and I put the gurd's screws back in for now.When I get around to it I'll take the screws out and fill the holes with a matching material.I like the bass a lot,but the curve on the guard looks goofy IMO.