1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tried out for a band tonight...post jam thoughts/rant

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Arranged a jam with a drummer I played with a few times who said his band was looking for a bass player. Traveled via mass transit to the Hipster mecca of nyc (Williamsburg, Brooklyn) to a jam space on the basement floor under a bar.

The jam itself was a half improv/half "heres a song, play something that fits to this arrangement" type of thing. A singer/songwriter guy on electric and another guitar player on acoustic along with the drummer. The singer/songwriter guy was a bit quirky and "indie" but had some decent chops on guitar and a good voice. The acoustic player stuck to rhythm and held it down. Their songs consisted of folksy kind of "indie rock" which i enjoyed but not necessarily where I come from, musically. The drummer and I made things a bit heavier and a bit bluesier which was cool.

Overall, I think things went ok. Wasnt a mind blowing audition but didnt blow up in my face either. I wasnt presented with any of the band's material before hand and the "heres a song, make something up" format can be a bit overwhelming, especially remembering the song structures and chord changes on the spot. I guess some guys are better at that kind of stuff than others. Sometimes the nerves can hit me when I am jamming with people I don't know and I can clam up. Hitting a bum note on a chord change and seeing somebody turn to look at you is a nasty feeling.

Don't know whether or not I will seriously pursue this project but it was a cool experience nonetheless. There were some genuine moments where we moved passed the awkwardness and synced up as a group. Also, I got to play out of a Mesa head and Epifani cab that somebody let me use. That was pretty sweet.

/rant

2. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I love playing with new people. So much fun. I even like the whole sour note moment. I laugh every time. Cracks me up. If people can't have fun while they "Play" I don't want to play with them any how. Like sex with a hooker or something. That being said............ I have crazy anxiety around people I don't know. I think a sour note or blowing a change I didn't know was there, and wasn't expected to know is like a icebreaker for me. I can relax at that point. Good luck and have fun

3. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    This is something that you really need to practice if you're going to be 'jamming' with a lot of different people. It's really one of my favorite things to do. One of the best ways to practice is to just spend 20-30 minutes a day (or at least for a few days before a jam) playing with the radio, or pandora, or some source that represents their influences.

I wouldn't stress about the occasional bum note, during a first jam, in a basement, as an experiment. Indie kids can be soooo serious sometimes. Just relax and have fun with it. Some of my mistakes have been my greatest inspiration.

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I sat in last week with 3 guys I have never met. The drummer is trying to get a country /southern rock kind of covers band together and needed a bass player. I did have a songlist and knew a few tunes the others were a learn on the fly deal.

In all it was fun and they guys were good players who all were together for the first time. We jammed out on most all the songs and it clicked. The vocals were a bit rough and can be an issue in allot of bands so we shall see. Playing with a group like this that I had never met was allot of fun and a great experience. To top it off they loved my playing and want me back. If anything it's a new experience for you like it was for me, where it leads who know's?

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Be careful, doesn't sound like it's what you want and the band didn't give you material to learn pre- audition which is a "red flag".

Blue

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Been there. Done that. In Williamsburg. With Hipsters. I've spent a lot of time jamming with people though, so it generally goes well. I don't like to work that way though. Takes too long, and lacks focus IMO. I understand what they're looking to do and can appreciate it though. Didn't realize it was a hipster thing, but it seems pretty consistently how they like to do things there.

I'm not predjudiced to hipsters either. I find them cool to hang with. I'm a vegetarian so dining choices are usually easier than with my flesh eating bandmates. :)

And just thought I'd let ya know we're neighbors. I'm a sheepsheadian too. Used to live on Z and Voorhies, now I'm on Knapp St.

7. Hey Joe. That's pretty close to me, I'm on Shore Pkwy and E7th..which I guess is technically still Gravesend...good to hear from a fellow South Brooklyner...

Due to all the music activity up there, it seems like Williamsburg is an inevitable place to find yourself in from time to time when you are around these neck of the woods. Some talented guys there too. Typically I have no problem jamming with new people it can be a very fun experience, and i'd say im pretty comfortable with it, "Hipsters" included.

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Stinkers crack me up too , it's like a boisterous fart without the afterglow. :)

9. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    That might be all you need to know right there. Sounds like potential to me. A lot of casual audition/jams never get past the awkward thing. Hell... some full-blown bands never get past the awkward thing!

Oh, and I'm on Bedford Avenue, right by Brooklyn College, neighbor! My grandparents were on E. 7th just South of Shore Pkwy in the apt. house right by the ball field.