1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tried out for another band....and didn't get in for a stupid reason...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've been away from TB for a while and in that time I decided to try out for a band I know back home. The stuff is mostly stuff I know (indie-ish type stuff, some Muse stuff etc.) and the band was in the same age-range as me so I felt reasonablly good about this one.

I was given my set-piece (Muscle Museum by Muse) and turned up with my Shergold. We set up, played and then they said they'd give feedback when they'd finished the auditions.

A week or so ago, the band got back to me. I'd played pretty well (I should have done, I can play their set-list in my sleep) and they seemed really pleased with me as a player and band member.

The reason I didn't get in? The ONLY reason they said I didn't get in was because I play a fretless, and they said it wasn't the image they wanted.

This has got to be the lamest excuse I've heard in a long time. I could understand it if it was a playing issue or something which actually mattered music-wise, but for 'image'?

***?

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I don't know much about the genre so I can't comment about the reason given but I feel for you.

3. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I once got kicked out of a band because their friend wanted to play. Didn't consider that I could actually play things well and this other guy came out of nowhere.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    That's rough. Why did they bother wasting all of your time like that then? They should have just told you up front. While am it, they should just get over the fretless and give you the spot.

5. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    It's not worth it if they judge you because of your gear.

Let's say you got in. A month from now, they'd make another series of decisions you disagree with... why stress? Something better will come along.

6. There aren't that many fretless indie players but they do exist!

That's stupid....

I unfortunately have a habit of picking bands to audition for who can't talk to me face to face. It's annoying especially given the time I'm putting in to actually come and play.

Frets or lack of them shouldn't matter unless you're playing something which REALLY needs it and there aren't many songs I can think of that would.

7. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Maybe that wasn't the real™ reason.

8. Given I was note-perfect (and I had someone check) and the band seemed to fit really well together, I can't think of any other real reason other than what they gave.

9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    +1

I'm thinking they want to keep you in mind in case the first choice doesn't work out. It'd be easy enough to ask you to get a fretted bass. Logic is often optional in the decision making in this business. Hang in there, the good gigs will come.

10. i have a fretted bass, my Yamaha 5er, but I have a feeling that would cause even more issues.

11. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Some people really have issues with non fender 4 string basses. Nobody ever tells gui****s what to play.

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Maybe they googled you and saw your posts on TB and thought it wasn't worth the drama or the vomit risk to their instruments? :D

13. Not the right image? Who the hell in the audience is even going to notice if your bass has frets or not.

Silly

14. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Chemistry is as important as capability, and they probably have a good idea of what comprises a good fit. So the "fretless" reason may have been a kind and tactful way to let you down. If so, it's nothing personal and you shouldn't take it personally. Just find the band that is a good fit.

15. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    I've walked away from dummies that told me they didn't like 5 strings? Ha! Do you feel threatened?

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Considering some of the conversations I've been in auditioning folks, and going through auditions myself, I find that at least 50% of the time the reason they give you isn't the actual reason, and more than 50% of the time it doesn't have to do with your playing.

Many people wouldn't consider it polite to say, "You don't fit our image", "I got a wierd vibe off you", or stuff like that so they come up with something peripheral as a reason why you don't get in the band.

Either way, no reason to take any of this personally. People don't fit, people quit, and folks get ditched all the time in this business of music.

17. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If things like this continually happen... sometimes it becomes time to think about using what's more mainstream.

IMHO.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Maybe it was Fassa that didnt fit their image?

19. ^

[​IMG]

20. It's a bass and I'm happy with it. No-one in ANY band is going to dictate to me what gear I use, and no-one has the right to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.