1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tried out my new Ampeg V4 at practice tonite

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rugaar, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    And it killed!

First, and most important, it sounded awesome! Big and full and rich. I had forgotten how much fuller and more 'alive' a tube amp sounds and feels compared to SS. Both my drummer and guitar player complimented on how it sounded and looked.

Also, I was amazed at how loud it can get, especially considering that it's only rated at 100 watts. I was easily able to keep up with my guitar player's Fender Super Reverb and a loud drummer. I was a bit concerned with this beforehand but all my worries have been put to rest. This thing can get plenty loud!

WooHoo!

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Does the V4 get gritty pretty fast, being it only 100 watts? 'tis what I've heard.

Nice amp.

3. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    We were playing at about a small club volume--loud but not deafening. Yes, it definitely had a bit of a grind to it. It wasn't over the top, though. Just a nice tubey grind, which was exactly what I was hoping for. I'm guessing that I can control that a bit by playing with the rocker switches, which adjust the input sensitivity, and by adjusting my amp and bass volumes. I'll experiment a bit as I play it more. Maybe someone else can chime in with their experience.

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I still say that the V4Bs that I used back in the late 70s were the best sounding amps that I've ever owned. I actually had one like yours and another later model (a '78 I think) with different knobs and slighly different face plate. I used them with an SVT 810 cab and never had any issues with lack of power.

Enjoy!!!!

5. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Oh almost forgot - here's the kicker. I sold that rig because I started playing smaller places. I "replaced" it with a Yamaha 115 combo. 100 watts of crappy tone! :crying:

6. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    The best 500-600 dollar amp out there by far IMO!

7. werks

werks

Dec 4, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    What kind of cab are you using ?

I have not been able to dial in a sound a really like on my v4b yet ... although I have not tried very hard yet... so I am always curious about cab choices with this head.

8. I use a V4BH with a NV610- an AWESOME combination!!!!!!! Superb!!! But it also sounds GREAT thru the Aguilar GS112 & GS115 together. Far more 'vintage' sound outta the NV610 tho!! AND plenty of volume!

9. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Very glad you dig yours Rugaar....very nice. How do you post pics??? ill put one of mine up .

Thanx;
    John

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Please god don't make me buy a valve head. My wallet is already crying.

11. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Awww just do it....you only live once!:)

12. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    just want to see if this worked

Attached Files:

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Don't make me GAS for tube heads...

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Honestly I never bought into that whole VALVE == TONE thing ever, but then I grew up listening to '80s bands who were all clean and chorused. Now I know what tone is, and I know I need a valve head.

:(

15. Very nice! I've been gasing for a V4 for a while now.

16. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    I think,and im sure Rugaar will agree, that these sound absolutely fantastic. I have a Markbass LmII solid state head and a Trace hybrid also, and i think my V4-B is going to be my favorite amp yet. It just has great "harmonic overtones", if that makes any sense. The Ampeg will be my main amp after a good checkup, the Trace will be for larger venues, great tone also, crushing power, and the MB will be for practice, easily transported! All G.A.S. cured.......for now.

17. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I'm running mine thru an old Peavey 1516 cab. (1x15 Black Widow and 2x8) Very old school thump. Sounds great to me.

I use photobucket. After you post the pix there you can click a link underneath the pic, which copies the URL of the photo, and then you click the link above the TB reply box that says "insert image." Just past your copied URL and there you go.

BTW-nice looking amp you've got there!

I had enough experience with tube vs SS guitar amps to know that I definitely prefer tubes. A good tube amp just has a feel and sound to it that I've yet to find in any SS amp. I'm not saying SS doesn't have it's place because it definitely does. It's just that I prefer the tubes and I'll deal with the issues that come along with that.

My amp was sitting fairly close to my drummer last nite during practice. When we finished he commented that he loved the smell of hot tube amps. It reminded him of hanging out with his father (who was also a drummer) when he was young. :)

18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    i use a sealed 8 ohm 4x10 with mine. ive never had a volume problem vs a mesa triple rec/4x12. this head kills.

heres an older shot of my settings, i usually keep them somewhat around this, with a few tweaks here and there...
    [​IMG]

19. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    My amp was sitting fairly close to my drummer last nite during practice. When we finished he commented that he loved the smell of hot tube amps. It reminded him of hanging out with his father (who was also a drummer) when he was young. :)[/QUOTE]

Thats funny you say that....my drummer knows i bought this amp the other day and called today to say he cant wait to hear it 'cause he loves old tube amps! it is sounding really nice since i opened it up and cleaned it and replaced the #1 pre-amp tube, but want to have it checked out this weekend...so he shall have to wait just a bit longer...glad i rediscovered the tube vibe!

20. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    This thread gives me really bad tube-amp gas. I see a V4B in my future.