Tried out the Conklin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Sep 4, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Wow!! I went to Guitar center today and I saw the Conklin Groove Tools 7 String Bass. And I played it for the first time.. I LOVED IT!!!.

John Turner: are the GT series the worst ones in Conklin? or are there cheaper ones than GT Series. is $1059 good for a Conklin GT?

I personally thought the B string was a little bit floppy.. but when i played the E note (Bstring 5th Fret).. i LOVED the sound!!! I was like "WHOA!!!!!" compared to playing the E string opened. playing the E on the B string sounded REALLY REALLY low and deep!! i WANT ONE!!!!!!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the one problem with many of the gt7's that i've tried at GC's is that the strings on them tend to be fried. lots of people try these basses out before they get bought - the strings almost alwasy are pretty dead on the gt7's that i've seen. that may have contributed to the dullness of the B on the bass that you played.

also, i personally am not a huge fan of the standard string gauges that they include - i think the low B is a little light (.127"), and the A,D and G are a bit heavy (.087",.067" and .047") so i tend to get a .135" for a B and .078", .055" and .035" for A,D and G. something to consider if you get one of these basses.

i'm glad you liked it , DM, they are really good basses.
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Thanks JT :) Just wondering... uhmmm... i have small hands.. I was sitting down with that thing and i barely got my fingers to touch the B strings.. what should I do if i get that bass and put a strap on?
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you don't adjust the strap too low and angle the neck upwards you'll probably be okay. Also, wrapping your thumb over the top probably isn't the way to anchor your fretting hand:D
  5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, my hands are pretty small too - my longest finger is just 3 inches from the tip to where it connects to my palm, and my pinky is 2 inches long. just take it easy and get a feel for the instrument.

for me, when i went from 4 to 7 the change was such that it sent me back to kindergarten, if you know what i mean. i couldn't do much on 7 for a little while. i had to learn how the instrument worked, and what it demanded of me to play it correctly, and i am still learning, 7 years later.

i wear my basses at at least a 45 degree angle, sometimes with the headstock a little higher, so that i can keep my fretting-hand wrist fairly straight, and still get my hand around the neck to the lowest strings by bringing my elbow forward.

i also only use my thumb on my fretting hand as a guide, i don't squeeze the neck between thumb and fingers. to fret the strings i use my finger strength in conjunction with my arm and shoulder pulling back - if i don't do this, my hand can cramp. this way i can also fret the strings cleanly when i have my hand up over the fretboard, to fret the lowest strings. after all, your bicep, tricep, shoulder and back muscles are all _way_ stronger than your hand muscles, and when you train your hand, arm and shoulder to all work together, you'll find that you can fret cleanly and still have your hands relaxed enough to move quickly and not cramp.

so take it easy, experiment with where you wear the bass for comfort concerns and for ergonomics, be very aware of any stiffness, pain or numbness in your hands, and don't over-do it. give your hands some time to get used to the instrument. also, warm up before you play - you should always stretch your hands before you play, but definitely a necessity with a 7 string. otherwise you run a major risk of injury, which would suck.

if you have any questions or would like some help, feel free to email me at if you like, or post it here - there are others that might be interested in this stuff too.

hope this helps a bit.
  6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Well...after a little measuring...I find that my fingers are about the same as John's. So I suppose...I have no good NOT try out a 7 string....:)
  7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, there ya go, deynn. GO OUT AND BUY A GT7!!! :D
  8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I was very afraid of getting a GT7 too!! (I got a 6 string Cort Curbow because of that) and I just found out that my fingers are the same size as John !!!
    Damn!! Im aiming at the GT7 in Natural cellophane as my Next Bass!!!
    I want the damn thing!!

Maybe in 3 or 4 months I will get the money for it.
  9. Playing a GT7 can be cool, but not nearly as cool as playing a real custom Conklin 7 string. Once I got used to the string spacing it was WAY cool (it was my teachers). To bad I dont have the funds to buy one.... : }
  10. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I just wanna put a little more pressure on those guys who wan't to get a 7 string by saying that it's a really good buy and a nice adddition etc. So have fun saving. No really, in my opinion, between 6 and 7 strings, handsize really doesn't matter. I'd never get a 6 string because it has all the "cons" of the 7 but not as many pros. For me it's either 4 strings or 7 or more.
  11. My GT7 is one of the first that my Local Guitar Center had in their inventory. I love this Bass it plays great sounds good the neck is very stable the only problem with it is the bookmatching is not as good as higher priced basses or the other Gt7's in the store. The way an instrument plays is the only thing that counts with me. I think bolt ons sound better than neck throughs and have better stability. Conlklin got this one right.