Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tried picking...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by McHack, Oct 10, 2005.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, I was bored & went over to Sam Ash this weekend, & had the bass sales guy slip me a couple of these funky picks. They're kind of thick'ish, & made from polyurethane. I'm predominantly a finger-style player, & have always realized there's just some songs where using a pick would be much easier, but have never taken the plunge. I mean, whats a good pick? whats a bad pick? How do you know? The whole concept seemed very foreign to me. Then, realizing my picking would suck, had me not even wanting to try. It's always been this whole,,, "thing"...

But, these picks were weird, so I thought I'd try them out. So, I went home that night & practiced for a couple of hours, & was surprized. Now, I certainly dont think that the pick had anything to do with it, but picking just seemed to come very natural. And, the polyurethane material of the picks, didnt generate a hard snapping edge at the attack point of the notes...

The only down side is, roundwound strings seem to tear these picks up.