1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tried the BX1500 the other day... not as much *oomph as the B1500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Aug 14, 2012.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    So, much to my shame, the B1500 is one of those very few amps in the world I've never gotten around to trying. For many years off an on I'd use component rigs owing to my massive power requirements, but many people have claimed this as being the single loudest piece of kit they've ever used...

I tried a used BX1500 in a low-volume setting the other day and REALLY loved the drive knob and compressor circuit.... I'm seriously considering picking one of these up after I get settled in my new city (just relocated, dead broke and in a selling phase ATM).

However, I've heard some chatter that the BX1500 just doesn't crush the way the older B1500 does. Working with hi-end pro-audio I know that many Class-D amps really just don't deliver the way the heavier Class-A/B & H amps do... but this is less and less the case with each passing year, and many OEM output boards, such as the B&O modules, get murderously loud and powerful. Now, I really don't want to walk down the Class-D vs everything else road, nor do I want to go down the El-Cheapo Class-D vs more expensive Class-D road again, because there are some reeaallly *ahem* committed people heavily invested in these arguments.... I have leads on both on the used market... so I'd like to keep this confined to people who've used or tried both amps in very hi-SPL settings and can speak to the differences (if any) in power delivery, disregarding EQ, options and features etc...

Still really blown away by how good that BX1500 sounded.... really wish I could have cranked it a bit...

PS - Guts pics always welcome LOL

2. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    If you're after the B1500 magic, the B2000 is what you want. The BX1500 is though somewhat different is still nice. But you gotta crank it no matter what it is.

3. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    I haven't played the B1500 or B2000 so I'll leave that up to others.

But a couple weeks ago I ran my 1212/6/1 off a single channel (so 450W) of my BX1500. Mistakenly forgot to bridge it like usual. No matter.

No soundcheck on outdoor stage, hit the ground running. I'd started with volume knobs higher than usual due to being outdoors and all.

Absolutely buried the rest of the band. (Early 80's rock/metal, 4 4x12 guitar cabs, etc.) Had to turn it down quite a bit at the first opportunity. Whoops.

4. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    I'm in on this thread and curious to hear Carvin lovers views too. I just picked up a B1500 and can validate Pablo's quote above......holy mother f$cker this sucker slams like nothing else.

I am also curious about the BX1500 and the B1500's replacement B2000. Can that class D really slam like its older, lead sled brother?

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I sold my bx1500 because it clipped way too easy bridged at 8 ohms. not loud enough for me. sounded awesome though.

6. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    The only way I could get my BX1500 to clip was when I was driving a 4 ohm 15" in a cabinet with insuffient porting...the chuffing was restricting cone movement and it cause the clip light to come on. Once I corrected the port size the light went out.

I've never owned the B1500 but I dont think its fair to compare a class A/B with a fat toroid trans with a class D in this case.

I use the BX1500 as two seperate amps...ch1 to drive my 2X10 and ch2 to drive my 1X15. In small clubs I just use the ch1 with the 2X10. This combo hasnt let me down yet. I've yet to have it react to power line problems. Great amp for the bucks.

wash4.

7. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    The BX1500 is a great amp. I had problems with it at the very same time I finished building my 66, so I had a hard time figuring out if it was the homemade X-over or the amp. It turned out to be the ribbon cable in the amp. Now that I cleaned the connections, which need cleaning every so often, I have a monster amp. I am in a metal band and play against a PV 5150 > 412 ans some tube Marshall > 412 and a heavy drummer who always run triggers through the PA and our practice area. I have no issues drowning them out at less than 1/2 volume bridges @ 1500W (4Ohms). Great amp with great tone options.

8. I was hoping you would chime in here due to your good and bad experiences with your Carvin. As versital as the BX1500 is, I am really attracted to the B2000's power section. If Carvin put just that power section in a 1u rack, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The B1500 I had crushed everything. When it worked.
    First one fired out of the box. Repaired one fried a show later. The replacement arrived DOA.

I tried the B2000. It clipped too early to be of any use to me.

10. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    WOW. That's bad..... this is making me think twice....

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I know lots of folks here use and like their stuff;
    I seem to have had singularly bad luck with it.

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    It happens. I know a guy with a Honda. It's always in the shop and my VW with 177000 miles on it has been rock solid. Go figure.

I know, I just jinxed it

13. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Yep, everyone has a story.

14. As a side note, I purchased Chef's B1500 back in May 2007 and it has performed flawlessly ever since :bassist:

15. You saying it slams more than the M9? I'm a huge Carvin fan, but that's hard to believe...

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Bass Pounder:
    That's great to hear!
    I reckon out of the three B1500's I had, you got the good one;)

It's been a while since I had a B1500, but I'd say for sure it's M9 equivalent or better in terms of power.

17. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I traded my B1500 for a Genz Benz 6.0. For me the Carvin not only sounded awesome but also has more power than I would ever need. The only reason for trading was to downsize (B1500's not a lightweight head). I still have a Carvin BX1200 which is good head but definitely not in comparison to the tone of the B1500.

18. husky123

husky123

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Yes it does...just a tad but it does and the M9 is certainly no slouch.

19. So does the new B2000 still have that same slam?

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I've noticed no difference between the Class D amps that I have (BX1500 and DCM1000L) and their Class AB equivalents.