1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tried to do my first pickup installation, failed...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rsword, Feb 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rsword

Rsword

Aug 5, 2015
    So I finally received my DiMarzio Model One P120 in the mail and thought I give it a go! I have good soldering skills from previous jobs so no problems there! The thing is that tough that when I had installed the pickups the other one, the one at the bridge, died on me! I got some sound out of it when i had my fingers on the strings + on the metal on the pickup. But it went quiet when I let go. The DiMarzio worked fine though. So I thought I might try to do the second choice of how to install it(three different instructions came along) but it was the same. When I tried the third and last option the pickup was all dead and when both pickups on they both where dead. But when I turned down the bridge pickup the neck(DiMarzio) gained back in volume... ? I did not touch the soldering of the bridge pickup!

What might have gone wrong? Please help!

Pictures:
    This is how it looked under the control plate.
    byfxWqm.

Here's a picture of the neck pickup soldering. Where the 3 is is ground and where the screwdriver is pointing is the hot soldering.
    45B42IJ.

I have no pictures of afterwards but I replaces the ground and hot exactly after the instructions and it just wouldn't work for me. Help please!

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Looks like maybe the signal wire on the other pot (the one on the left) may be contacting the housing.

3. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    On the braided wires I would have pulled the braid off the signal wire a bit, at least a 1/4 inch, and kept the signal wire off the pot, soldering the braid to the pot, with the black signal wire off the pot. (solder could make contact thru that braid, even though it doesn't melt),.you may have grounded the signal by soldering through both wires, on the back of the pots. The soldering itself looks good, it won't fix the problem, but it's a nice touch to use isopropyl alcohol. and a q tip to clean the flux off everything, (flux is acidic). (you might see a shorted wire when it's clean too)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  4. Rsword

Rsword

Aug 5, 2015
    Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it!
    I went the other way around though... Gonna give it to a Luthier tomorrow instead, hehe.
    But still, thanks a lot for taking your time! :)