1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tried to use some slap bass in a song

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mudloop, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mudloop

Mudloop

May 10, 2015
    Hi,

I don't ever really slap, I practiced it a little bit when I first picked up the bass many years ago, but I never really used the technique for anything, so I tried using it in a song. I'm happy with the result.

I also played the guitars in this song, but my guitar skills are a bit lacking, I can only do simple stuff so that's what I did. Simple stuff can get you quite a long way, but I might as a friend to replace the lead guitar.

https://cl.ly/3L471p2o1c14/Running On Fumes 5.mp3

Feedback helps me progress as a musician, so that's what I'm posting. Both positive and negative things, it all helps.

Thanks!

Badwater and Bassbeater like this.
  2. TCgypsy

TCgypsy

Jan 7, 2018
    Sounds pretty good to me but I am more of a guitarist as well. Your timing seems pretty good in the slap sections but I am not a huge fan of the tone you have dialed up. What bass are you using?

I am starting to learn slap technique myself. I tried to slap on a short section of one of my songs. It works but you can tell my slapping is not pro, lol. I have a new bass on the way (Ibby SR1405E) so I am excited to develop the technique a bit better on the new bass. I probably won't end up using it that often on my songs but it's useful to have, and it's fun.

Peace,
    TC

gebass6 likes this.
  3. Mudloop

Mudloop

May 10, 2015
    Thanks for listening! I use an Ibanez SR1800, and can really recommend the SRs (I have two others). They feel great, and are very versatile.

When recording, I usually turn off the EQ so it's not colored much, I like doing that afterwards. I record through my Helix Rack but only record dry, and then use Helix Native plugin to shape the tone for both guitars and bass - but I still have a lot to learn in that department. There's so many options for tone shaping that it can become overwhelming to find something good and stick with it.

Anything in particular you don't like about the tone? Everyone has different tastes of course, but maybe it will give me some ideas of things to try.

I appreciate what you said about my timing. It's challenging for me to keep the timing tight while slapping, probably because I don't practice it often, but also because the sound is more percussive, and any flaws are much more noticeable.

4. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    The bass tone might be a little smashed. Sounds good though. If you are adding vocals later I think this is fine. If it's staying instrumental maybe you can add some stereo effects in the high end sparkle of the bass to put some fire in it. The playing is fine I think. just my opinion, don't take it too seriously. :)

5. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    It's killing me, not knowing who your bass' tone resembles...on the tip of my tongue. One example that I can think of, is (sort of, even though this is with a pick):

6. Mudloop

Mudloop

May 10, 2015
    Thanks for the responses!

Will be adding vocals, once I come up with some lyrics for the singer :)
    I have meanwhile re-recorded the bass and I'm much happier with the tone, but I'll just repost it once we've recorded the vocals.

My music is always heavily influenced by the 90s and late 80s, so that might have something to do with why it reminds you of that tone.