Tried two basses today at store

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by degroove, Feb 24, 2004.

1. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I stopped at a local guitar shop called Earl Teat in Dover, Delaware.

They had two upright basses. The guys said one was a Verona ($899) and the other was a Matias Toma?? ($1,150).

First, I am renting an URB and am a Newbie looking for a bass, so take my review as from not much experience ;)

The Matias Toma, if I remember the name correctly, looked to be a thin 3/4 bass. It had a flatback, Ebonized Fingerboard and Tailpiece, Black Nut (not sure material), Gold Tuners (not sure of material), and stainless strings. The bass sounded fairly good, but not better than my rental. I didn't bow it cause I don't know how yet, but it had a good pizzo tone. Only problem was I could see a big ass knot in the fretboard :eek: under the paint and the finish under the fretboard was a mess. I like the ebony on my rental way better.Thin neck on this bass as well.

The Verona was not as nice as the toma. It was a full size 3/4 bass. Same features, Same messy paint and finish. THe tone was dull and lifeless. Again, made me like my rental even more. Thick neck on this bass.

As for my rental, its a mystery bass. They said its a Strobel with Ebony fretboard and Tailpiece, Purfling, Rounded back. It has a much better tone. My bass is louder than either of thes pizz style. Rental is 1600 to buy.

So, I have tried three other basses now...Strunal and these two and am liking my rental much more than those so far.

Got a lesson Thursday. Hopefully I will learn how tomake use of the bows :)
  2. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Consider doing the rent to buy. Stay far far away from that ebonized fingerboard. Black paint on the fingers and a waste of money. The other one doesn't sound so hot either, especially if you don't like the tone. Know that it's difficult to find a DB under a 1000 that would be good. If you like the tone of your rental and the way it feels rent to buy. Otherwise try for an Em-1 or another site to buy. STAY AWAY FROM EBAY! :eek:
  3. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Yeah, you are right! Ebonized is a bad thing!! :)

The good thing is I have 4 months of scouting before my rental period ends and I have to make a decision on purchasing.

The reason I am trying other stuff it to be sure my rental to buy is a good choice for me. Therfore, I need a basis for comparison...

ANd, I am staying clear of Ebay for URB! :D
  4. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Sounds like the rental is the superior choice here, plus you have the advantage of having the thing "played in" by the countless others who rented it before you.

Maybe the dealer will credit you the rental amount you put into the bass if you decide to buy it. I rent fractional-size violins for my kids, and we're and the rental policy accumulates an amount to put toward the purchase of a new full-size when they're ready.
  5. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    The cool thing is the bass is new!! It doesn't even have a ding on it! I know that the more they are played, the better they sound, but so far, so good.

I know of some more places to try, and one is a violin shop which should have nice stuff compared to a guitar shop. :)