1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tried Yamaha TRB 1005 Yesterday... impressive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by verbass, Mar 28, 2006.

1. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Hey anyone else experience this Bass and have any reviews? I was just kicking around the local GC and happen to try the TRB 1005 Yamaha I liked the sound feel and construction. I am a Warwick / MIA Fender guy but I recently dropped all my fivers to thin things out and for a change of pace. I was thinking Fender Active Deluxe Jazz V or the MIA Fender Deluxe Jazz . But now I don't know. Damn GAS!

Maybe y'all can throw a wet blanket on this Yamaha lust.

Thanks
    :hyper:

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    No blanket here...it's a nice bass. Go for it.

3. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Don't know if the wallet/wife likes you Westcoast
    LOL:help:

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've owned a natural finish, TRB1005 for about a week now. I'm very happy with the feel. The satin finish on the neck makes it really quick and smooth. It's a beautiful instrument.

I have lowered the action and pickups a bit, and am not getting any buzz. I also added some shielding to the electronics compartment, because it had a hum when near computer monitors.

The active eq gives it a very wide range of tone, but when set flat/balanced, it is brighter than my all alder RBX375. The 375 has a darker sound when it's eq is set flat/balanced.

I believe the maple top is a big part of the difference in sound.

One thing to note... I bought the TRB1005 based on my excellent experience with the RBX375. Yamaha seems to deliver a lot of value throughout their product line.

I've owned several brands of bass guitar, but I don't feel any of them given me as consistantly as positive an experience.

5. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Thanks Bobster
    But you didn't help at all either
    Here's the scene I just traded a bunch of old basses for the new Tony Franklin P-Bass including one the wife really liked . If I bring another one in here ... Well you guys will have a new story to talkabout in the humor forum.

It's a drug and I may be venting the other Junkies.
    It's worse than that I have a Guitar pusher in the family my Brother is the Store manager at the best shop in Eastern CT.

I truly am screwed !
    :help:

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sorry to do it to you Verbass...

Here's a pic for the "no pics, so it doesn't exist crowd".

7. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    That's the one I played at GC . I played a different one at a local dealer and they seem to be pretty consistent . I really have to do something about this. I have GAS Bad I am also lusting after a Genz Benz Combo. Hopeless . :eek:

8. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I just purchased one today and love it. It was supposed to be new old stock. It has an alder body (I think) but no maple top. They told me it was made in 2004. Great grain. Looks kinda swamp ashy. they must have stained it to bring out the grain. I love it. Great playing and sounding bass. Abalone dot inlays. 6 bolt neck, etc. Oh yeah, the most important thing, a lefty.

9. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Well, it does have an ash body. They told me alder but I thought it looked like ash. Anyway. Great bass

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If they're anything at all like the TRB5P-II, they are a great bass. I love the playability, and it has tone for days. Oh, you want pictures? How can I say no?

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I played one last weekend. If I didn't already have a Yamaha 5'er, (and a BB414) I would have bought it. I am looking for a fretless version.

I think Yamaha makes a really nice bass and they aren't over-priced.

12. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I think it is A KILLER BASS for less than a grand. The pros are too many to mention and certainly obscure any possible cons. If you got the dough go for it!

13. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    yamaha basses = fantastic

Buy it. :D

14. I have a TRB5 Mk1 which everyone loves. I'm due to go check out a TRB1005 Fretless next week. From looking around there are only left 2 in the UK!

There were released in 2004? Does that mean that prices may fall a bit more now?

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I also own one! I was actually in the market for a Fender Am Dlx V and was actually in the process of ordering it when the sales rep told me to hang out for a minute! I went back over to the bass selection and was looking around and spotted one! Seeing as I never played one before, I grabbed it, plugged it in and started playing it and I was blown away! Imagine just grabbing an instrument and it feels totally comfortable from the start, and it played beautifully! Action was perfect! Suffice it to say, I cancelled the order for the Fender! On a side note, I don't think Fender V's are all that great as compared to other pro 5 basses! I was only going to buy it based on an absolutely incredible deal I was gonna get it for! These TRB's are are par (even better, IMO) with the Lakland Skyline series!

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Absolutely. I owned a Lakland 55-02 and the TRB 1005 is easily just as good and probably better - IMO - but I play Yamaha exclusively these days so I am a bit biased.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh, I'm an official Yamaha product man these days! Even bought the BBT500 head and 2 BBT110s 1x10 cabs for a nice tiny but powerful 500w rig!

18. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Yup, really nice for $750 at gc. I lowered the bridge saddles and got an ultra low action going in minutes. It is not a mid-scooped sound. Both the neck and bridge pickups were really present.

Body wood is alder, has lots of tone, but sort of light and open, not quite enough low end punch for my tastes, but it will definitely deliver the goods and cut in the mix. Sounded great through an Aguilar 4x10 and then got a killing old school tone through an Ampeg B115.

Finish on the top was a little sloppy. B string was good, but I have a Modulus Q5, so I'm completely spoiled.

I didn't buy, but I am keeping my eye on Yamahas from now on...

19. stu42

stu42

Jul 28, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've been wanting to check one of these out as well based on a couple of reviews I read recently.

Does anyone know if the TRB1005 at all resembles the TRB 5II?

I went to a store locally that sells Yamaha and asked about the TRB1005. The guy told me they had one and showed it to me. I told him it didn't look like a TRB1005 because, for one thing, it was obviously swamp ash and it didn't have the same shape. Apart from that, the pickups and controls looked the same. He said it was a model from a year or two ago.

When I turned it over it said on the back of the headstock: TRB 5II - Made in Japan. I like the made in Japan part but when I played it it sounded quite dark and mellow and not very punchy at all. It might be good for more of a fusion/jazz thing but wasn't what I was looking for.

I'm pretty new to the bass-playing thing (I'm a guitar player) but so far I like the sound of the MM Stingray 5 with the bass control turned up a bit. It has a lot of punch, nice round bass tone but nice clarity on the top end and not too middy. It would be nice if you could dial in a bit more mids on the SR5 but I could live without that.

How does the TRB1005 five compare to a SR5 or are they even remotely similar?

Thanks.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Totally different beasts! Passive Fenders and MM Stingrays are totally vintage sounding instruments! Yamaha TRB's are modern sounding instruments.