1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trigger pull or shot my foot Jazz on Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MohawkHarry, Apr 11, 2010.

1. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry Supporting Member

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I couldn't help snagging this wish I done so sooner though.
    The cat had this listed as a Highway 1 jazz and I was about to buy it at $550 "buy it now included shipping" but I couldn't edit out the shipping cost and e-mail seller.
    When I refreshed the listing the price went up because he relized it was a USA standard. Now Im hoping it was still a good deal because it was still priced low and bought it anyway.
    Looks like it's in good shape for a 1998 what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250613050841

2. 600 bucks for a 98 AM Std Jazz?
    thats a great deal!!

3. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Yeah but I almost had it for $550 shipped and that would have made a better fishing story.

4. I like how the seller states: I am revising this item because I now know it is an American Standard Bass. I thought it was a Highway One, but the Highway One bass wasn't produced until 2003. I bought this in 1998.

And then states: I still have the original price tag which reads $1,129.99. Maybe the guitar shop I bought it from thought it was a Highway One.

If the Highway One wasn't in production yet, I doubt the guitar shop thought it was a Highway One :smug:

The bass looks like a pretty good deal though.

5. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I bet he tried to sell it back to them and they told him it was a highway 1 to give him less for it, who knows! Cant wait to get my grubby hands on it.

6. JerBo

JerBo

Jul 25, 2009
    ATL
    I bought my 2001 American Std P for 575!
    With a fender hardshell!
    It was practically brand new, I don't know why it was priced as low as it was, but the shop knew what it was...
    It's solid as hell, sounds great with a few year old flats ;)

7. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Anyone know what body wood was used in 98 on the burst finished basses?

8. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Pretty sure it's alder.

9. mtizzle

mtizzle

Mar 23, 2008
    Great buy, man.

10. aws1963

aws1963

Sep 3, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    I saw that and was watching. Looks like a pretty screamin' deal. If it's as described and only needs set up to your spec's, then thats a heck of a deal!!!

Let us know how it is when you get it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed its as described. :bassist::bassist::bassist:

11. you got a great deal there ,,,believe me 600 dollars for that bass is a steal !

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Great deal. I think that $1129.99 was list in 1998.

13. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    That seems like a lot. I bought my MIA P bass new back in '01 and I walked out the door paying $799 (Or it might have been $899...). I guess it makes sense if that's the MSRP but hopefully that's not what the guy paid for it. :)

14. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    He said list. I paid $750 for my '98 as NOS in '01. Still, the OP got a good deal.:hyper:

15. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I had the 98 USA Jazz Deluxe and 98 USA Hotrod P. I think GC was selling the Jazz standards for 799 or 899 at that time. There was a transition Highway 1 that didn't have the BA bridge but I couldn't remember what year it was first produced. I also knew it didn't have a string through body that was hardly viewable in the sellers pic.
    Another scarey thought is the seller is new to Ebay with one feedback. He just e-mailed to let me know Paypal is holding the funds till I recieve the bass.
    I never knew they did that but am somewhat releaved by it.

16. I got my 97 American Standard Jazz in 1999 for $625 so thats a great deal IMHO

17. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Update: I got home from work today and dude had refunded my money. He said he didn't like the fact that he had to provide a tracking number before paypal would release the funds. So now he dont want to sell the bass.

18. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    That's pretty lame. Did you ask him if a USPS or bank money order or would work? Or is that even a good idea?

19. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    I haven't bought a whole lot off of ebay, but something tells me he's not really allowed to do that. I was under the impression that once you sent payment he was obligated to provide the product. I'd be taking this one up with Ebay.

20. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I'm looking into it! I think the only way you can get out of a sale is if the item is lost, stolen or damaged. Not because you dont like paypals buyer protection policy.