triggering strobe lights

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tradition_2kill, Sep 19, 2006.

1. tradition_2kill

tradition_2kill

Aug 9, 2006
    how is this done? my drummer wants to blind the audience at 250 beats a min.

2. Triggering strobes can be done in a few ways.
    1) Pro way (like you'll see at a rock gig) is done through the lighting desk from the middle or back of the auditorium.
    2) some have little remotes that use a jack to jack cable to connect from the strobe unit to the remote, which can be as simple as just a switch.
    3) can be done manually from the back of the strobe, generally on cheaper units.

As a lighting guy, I feel I should say if you are going to use strobes you should put up signs saying you will be having strobes. I thought it was the law but I'm not 100% on this.

3. A local band here used to have a roadie crouched at the side of stage with an on/off switch.

4. Dammit double post

5. tradition_2kill

tradition_2kill

Aug 9, 2006
    well my drummer would like one strobe for each of his kick drums. is it possible to use triggers to switch them on/off?

6. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    yes. at around xmas time, stores will sell what is basically an extension cord with a footswitch (acts like a killswitch). i have one.

7. what if you ran them threw "the clapper"?

lol

8. Do you mean triggers as in midi triggers on the kick drum skin?

I like the idea anyway...

9. tradition_2kill

tradition_2kill

Aug 9, 2006
    yes one strobe for each bass drum. i dont think the clapper will work lol, i was thinking there has to be a way to use midi triggers.

10. tradition_2kill

tradition_2kill

Aug 9, 2006
    bump

11. After having a think about this (and the bump today), you could:

attach a contact microphone (these can be had for a coupla £'s from a local electonics shop) onto each skin of the bass drum (ideally the side that is hit by the kicker but not the kicker point, if that makes sense) then run that into a strobe that has a sound-to-light function, so everytime your drummer hits the bass drum in theory it should trigger the strobes.

The other alternative is to have a guy off stage doing it by hand, like velvetkevorkian said.

12. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks for the thought, and the idea. My ex used to have seizures that were brought on by strobes, was a downer cuz it severely cut back on the concerts I (we) were able to attend.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021