Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by silentstranger, Feb 20, 2004.

1. I just met a girl who doesn't have AIM and I don't want to have to run more than one messenger; I heard Trillian is the best for this so I downloaded it. First impressions are that it's really annoying! My buddy lists are all in the wrong order, the sounds and icons and fonts are confusing, and there's something freaky about away messages; these I understand are things to get used to and/or fix manually.

The deal-breaker, however, is that I can't view other people's AIM profiles the way they're intended to look. It's just plain text on a gray background, no colors, formatting, not even links! Can Trillian view profiles correctly, or should I just delete it now? Trillian power users, defend your choice!

Edit: I'm using v0.74F, the newest free version on the official website.
  2. I understand that you don't want to run another messenger, but MSN messenger is my favorite, for various reasons. You might like it on its own, without aim attached.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I always use trillian. Yeah, there are some bugs, but I don't give a **** about seeing someone's paisly pink background on their profile or a link to take their stupid quiz. It's nice because there aren't ads, you can customize display names, have "containers" (so all of your conversaitions are in 1 centralized spot, so your whole toolbar isn't flashing like christmas lights) and I just like it a whole lot better. It's good if you are the only person using chat on the computer. I always keep a copy of AIM installed for friends to use or for file transfers.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I use iChat, and it's lame because I can't do file transfers with people on trillian for some reason, works fine with AIM users, or morpheus, or iChat...but not trillian. :meh:

I only use the AIM network for IM, so I only need one program:cool:
  6. Personally, I like ICQ the best.
    And now, finally, after AOL bought Mirabilis you can get ICQ contacts on an AIM buddylist, and vice versa.

But then again, I can't really say much about Trillian or other multi-IM software, since I just have ICQ, AIM, and MSN messenger as 3 seperate programs on my computer.
    I think I've almost mastered the art of alt-tabbing...
  7. bingo
  8. Eh, I don't much care about paisley pink either, but MY friends' links are usually cool, with nary a stupid quiz to be found :spit: (well, maybe one or two, but not among my close friends). I think most of those other features are available in DeadAIM, or at least those I care about. In any case, since the consensus seems to be that there's no way around the profile issue...

I'm currently trying out GAIM; seems to be an improvement...we'll see if I can stand it for more than a day or so or if I've gotta just use Yahoo and AIM... thanks all :hyper:
  9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    simple solution, tell her to get AIM
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i use trillian - it works for me
  11. I've used Trillian in the past but now I've switched to Miranda IM ( It's a bit thougher to get started with but when you get going... =) There are several plugins to choose from and you can tweak just about everything. Miranda IM is much more lightweight than Trillian which is also a plus (an IM shouldn't be a memoryhog). I recomend you give it a go. Oh, did I mention that it's free? No Pro version or something like that just free. =)