Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trills

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by pat1151, Jun 17, 2005.

1. pat1151

pat1151

Jun 22, 2004
    Montreal, Quebec
    Hello, I have been playing the double bass for about 3 months now. I have been working through Francois Rabbath's Book with my teacher and I am now working on the 2nd Etude. Several times in the etude, there are Trill markings above the notes. From what I know from my school Band Director, When playing a trill, you are suppost to trill to a note one whole step above the "trilled" note. My problem is, I have never heard a double bass play a trilled note and I am not sure how I am suppost to approach it. Is it fast like a trill on a flute? The tempo is around 50 B.P.M. I would ask my teacher for advice on this but he is away this week so I am stuck on my own. If anybody has any recordings I could reference to, It would be greatly appreciated if you can direct me to these.

Thank you in Advance.

2. Yes, you trill between the note written and and it's nearest upper neighbor - that may be a whole step or a half step depending. For instance, if you are playing in the key of C, and the written note is a B, then you would alternate between the B and the C.

Yes, the trill should always be fast, it doesn't really slow down with the tempo of the piece. If the trilled note is short, then your trill is fast but ends quickly enough to "show off" the written note. If the note is long the trill is just as fast, but you play it for longer, again always stopping on the written note long enough to let the written note sing.

I was taught that on a trill you start on the upper neighbor and try to fit in six notes in the trill so you always end on the written note. This is different than a mordent, where you start on the written note and play the upper neighbor only once, and then back to the written note. The effect is very different between the two techniques.