Trimming EPIPHONE Headstock Down.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OldSkull75, May 25, 2018.

1. OldSkull75

OldSkull75

Oct 24, 2013
    Union Kentucky
    not sure if I posted this I’m the right spot. If not please relocate.

Has anyone trimmed their Epi Headstock?
    I have an EB3 I picked up with the intentions of modding it. I’d like to trim the headstock down to about the size of a Warwick, relocate the A and D tuner pegs a little more into the center and put smaller light weight Tuners in it. This should also take care of the neck dive.
    Just looking for any tips or suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. OldSkull75 and RobTheRiot like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Like any other non-reversible mod, it kills re-sale value.

OldSkull75 likes this.
  4. OldSkull75

OldSkull75

Oct 24, 2013
    Union Kentucky
    It’s an Epiphone EB3 I picked up for $100. What resale value? Lol. I bought it to mod it and make it a player. The neck dive kills it as it is now.

aldaa and sissy kathy like this.
  5. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    Have you tried a wide suede strap? I had an EB3 and an EB0 for a while and a suede strap helped, it grips your shirt. I use the strap on my Hofner now for the same reason. Low cost idea without permanent alteration.

OldSkull75 likes this.
  6. OldSkull75

OldSkull75

Oct 24, 2013
    Union Kentucky
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    For that I understand. I was thinking of the Cassady thread when I wrote that. Go for it.

OldSkull75 likes this.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I wish you luck, but I have limited expectations.

IME an EB-3 is, and always will be, a neck diver. The geometry of that bass is all wrong. The neck is too long for the small light body, and unless you cut the headstock off and add tuners on the bridge, I doubt you will find it balances well.

That said, carve away. Just refinish the headstock when you're done. You only have $100 invested and the bass can always serve for firewood.

I had an EB-3 for about 30 days. Got it on a good deal from Ebay, was immediately aghast at the neck dive and the extreme reach to the lower frets, and re-sold it immediately.

Not only is it a neck diver, but the neck is mounted far enough on the outer part of the body that it's an uncomfortable reach. It was without a doubt the most uncomfortable 34" scale bass I've ever tried to play.

IMO it's a bass that looks good but doesn't play well.

I know it has fans. Good luck to them. I'll keep my '64 EB-0 which is comfortable to play. IMO the SG-body only works well with short scale basses.

YMMV.

sissy kathy, OldSkull75 and matty1039 like this.
  9. OldSkull75

OldSkull75

Oct 24, 2013
    Union Kentucky
    the reach is a little uncomfortable but not terrible for me. My EB3 isn’t that far out of Balance. Trimming the headstock and some Hipshot Ultra lights and a Babicz Bridge should help quite a bit.
    I’m a Fender P Bass player Loyalist. This was just something I to mess with. The Bass plays nice. Just needs some tweaks and Mods.

Pilgrim and buldog5151bass like this.
  10. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Have you considered extending the upper horn of the body? That's the real problem with the EB-3 design; the upper horn on the body is too short. The upper strap button needs to be moved outboard 2 inches or so. That will solve the balance problem and the reach problem, without even touching the headstock.

There are different ways to do it. You can make up a metal plate or arm that attaches to the body with screws. Or, a long round post that extends the strap button out. Or, splice a block of wood onto the body and reshape the upper horn.

OldSkull75 and Pilgrim like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021