Trinity Mic Positioning

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Andrew Jones, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

How do you guys set up your trinity mic ?the pics on Bobs(all hail) site show the mic in a vertical off axis postion. what do you think?

2. Mine's set up exactly as in the picture on Bob (AH) Gollihur's site - works really great!

- Wil
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mine is set at a similar angle, only it sits right at the treble foot of the bridge pointing at the top rather than over the f hole. The volume is slightly less this way, but not as boomy.
  4. As long as we are talking about Golden Trinity Mics,
    I just got mine yesterday, and I love it. (All Hail Bob)

One question though, I do a lot of outdoor gigs, and I'm concerned about the very high humidity(down here in So. Fla.) adversely effecting the mic over time. Any comments or reccomendations?
  5. Also any reccomendations on setting the internal EQ would be greatly appreiciated.

I'm having a buddy come over on saturday so I can use his ears and hands to help me set it up, but any tips would also help me out.

Thanks, Guys.
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I can't imagine it being a problem, especially since I assume it will live with you in the air conditioning most of the time? I have a lot of other mics I've owned for quite some time, including a pair of condenser mics I've had since 1975. I have lived a mile from the ocean at the lower NJ shore, where high humidity (part of the year) is the norm. Have you had problems with other mics?
  7. No, no problems with other mics. It's just so small and light, it gives me the illusion of being fragile.

I should have known you wouldn't carry it, if it wasn't rugged enough for regular use.
  8. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I position the mic on an angle; diagonally over the F hole and about an inch above. Probably less volume, but I like it.
    As far as the internal eq goes: I tried to get as much volume out of the mic as I could without making it feedback prone or too boomy. I think I ended up with the bass trim pot around 1-3 o clock, middle around 1, treble, 10-11. It takes some playing around with but the internal pots really do make a difference.
    In my experience, the pickup can take over a lot of the sound. I always blend the mic higher than the pickup on the external knobs. Like I said, it takes some playing around with but its worth it. It is very noticeable when you start dialing in the mic. Very warm and full. Like everything else you have to make it work for you and everyone has different preferences.
  9. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    I have mine also at a angle on the treble side of the bass, the only difference is that mine is facing down instead of facing up, sort of like pointing at the floor, by doing that I feel that I avoid background sounds, especially saxophone.