1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trio of Doom CD coming out on 06/26. Anyone looking forward to it?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The lineup is pretty amazing: McLaughlin, Williams and Jaco.

trioofdoom.jpg

Word is that the whole thing is a huge trainwreck because Jaco's playing is so eccentric. Still, it's the only existing record of this trio, so it's this or nothing.

More info here.

Any thoughts on the record?

2. I remember reading about this in "JACO" biography. I will probably order it soon

3. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I Pre-ordered it months ago. Of course I read the negative reviews of their live performance, but in the past years I've heard different versions, first, of who was responsible, and second, that the concert wasn't the disaster it was cracked up to be after all. This should be really interesting...

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I read a review last week which pretty much damned it - basically the actual concert footage is only 25 minutes long and Jaco's bass was out of tune the whole time! :meh:

So they went into the studio to tart up some tracks and make them presentable and to extend it to album length...

Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel!

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The funny thing about it I remember McLaughlin totally hating the project and wouldn't speak to Jaco for a long time after it because of his behaviour, but he is behind this release, even did the liner notes[I think]. I ordered it awhile ago anyway.;)

p.s. Hadrien Feraud gets his US release this week, I AM looking forward to that one.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Obviously he has mellowed with age! :p

7. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I wouldnt take alot of what was said in that bio to be very truthful. After that book was released jaco's family and friends were really mad at how untruthful most of the book was.

8. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i got my copy today, i dont know why it turned up early, the live tracks are ok but the studio takes are better, theres a nice version of continuum on it.

Dave

9. Bruce Lindfield

I already have 4 or 5 CDs with nice versions of Continuum ....:meh:

10. lol, i was thinking the same thing. But one more nice version of that amazing song couldn't hurt ;)

11. Bruce Lindfield

If it was free and wasn't therefore preventing me from buying other material that I don't have....? But there's a whole world of Jazz players out there, who are making great music today and tunes I haven't heard yet! :)

12. Do you think you could actually be any more negative Bruce??? Every single post you've ever made on this album completely and utterly slags it off and yet you appear not to have heard the thing in its entirity.... at least hear it before continually slating it - fair enough if you don't like it, or think it's not the best example of Jaco's playing, but please stop with the holier-than-thou opinons because the album is actually pretty good and an interesting document of Jaco playing with two giants of jazz rock - it's not the sham of a recording you make it out to be.

13. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not being negative - I'm being positive to all the great Jazz that is being made nowadays!

I see it as more negative, to be constantly dwelling on the bottom scrapings of one particular artist!

I have loads of great Jaco albums - but really I think it's time to leave his rotting corpse alone and celebrate some of today's great artists and buy their albums!

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce being Bruce. :meh:

My copy arrived yesterday, I haven't gotten around to checking it out, though.
    My expectations are not real high...it is a snapshot from the past that I'm interested in, however.

I also picked up Steve Khan's newest, Hadrien Feraud's debut, & Slaughterhouse 3.

15. Bruce Lindfield

And you were the one who persuaded me not to buy Holiday for Pans! :p

16. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I also heard the live stuff is not as bad as the Milkowski bio makes it out to be. I've even heard some say it was actually very good. If anything it's an interesting record that documents a significant event of one of the jazz greats. I'd like to check it out so I'll probably buy it one of these days.

I really like Holiday for Pans!

17. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    [sarcasm alert]
    Yeah, they also put out a real bottom-scraper by James Brown called 'Motherlode'. It MUST be absolutely horrible too, right!? Because it's outtakes and demos, right?!
    Just to keep things interesting though, I think I'll wait judging it till I've listened to it...pretty wild idea, huh?

18. +1

OK but let's get this in perspective: 'bottom scrapings' in Jaco's case are those awful NYC recordings made on a bootleg tape machine during a period in which both Jaco and Mike Stern were in a very dark place and completely messed up on drugs and booze - those recordings are really bad - that's a fact. The Trio Of Doom CD is a long way from this, it was made in 1979 so admittedly it's middle period Jaco but he cut Word Of Mouth after this and that's a great record - this is positively NOT Jaco in the gutter this is Jaco still on form and doing his thing - the Millowski book grossly exagerates the performance as an utter shambles - it wasn't! They only had 25 mins and all of that is on here and it's better than half way good - some of it sounds great, especially the Tony Williams tune 'Para Oriente'. I was genuinely surprised and pleasantly so at the quality of this album - I agree it's not the greatest thing ever, but then I personally think the band was a failier for other reasons, not just Jaco, plus how many millions of Miles and Trane recordings have been dusted down, re-packaged in their entirity - purely to present a complete picture of what they did in their lifetime. Don't get so worked up just because it's Jaco... and I listen to tons of new music, this being one of the very few reissues I've actually listened to recently.

I have admit I've just been getting back into Hejira and Don Juan's Restless Daughter by Joni M and Jaco's playing on those is just stunning - and yes, I'll take that over Trio f Doom any day...but it's still worth hearing if you are a Jaco fan - which I definitely am.

19. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    ahhh..all is bliss, all is bliss

listening to it now....

I really needed a dose of 70's era gratuitous musically useless displays of instrumental virtousity!

:smug:

update:

I have been through this twice, and it is much better than I expected, given how crappy the old Havana Jam stuff sounded. You can tell Jaco is a little wild and at times...lost...but worth the $11.99

but then I buy ANYTHING Johnny M does.....

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, I was expecting the worst...

Wow, 100% better than I had thought(or was lead to believe); the live stuff is insane..."Dark Prince" is 3 guys going for it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021