1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trios made up of guitar, voice and bass??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by percy_jones, Apr 25, 2009.

1. percy_jones

percy_jones

Jun 19, 2005
    Hi guys I hope someone can help me with this. I started a project and the idea is to make a tiro (voice-guitar-bass) to play in bars, birthdays, partys. And the thing is that I´m trying to find some recordings with this line up to hear some ideas concerning the arrangements. The thing is to play some kind of pop little jazzy thing, with our own versions of the songs and arrangements. We are thinking to do some queen, beatles, this song called ain´t no sunshine, etc. I´ll appreciate any help with these things, or any advice or idea. Thanks!

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The only band I can think of that had this lineup was Young Marble Giants, a kind of post-punk Welsh band from the 80's. They're not very pop, or jazzy, but they do some interesting things. A lot of their songs used a primitive drum machine (actually tape recordings of a primitive drum machine) to provide an vague outline of a beat, but on songs like "Final Day" and "Searching for Mr. Right", the guitar provides the percussion while the bassist does the melody on bass or keys. Allison Statton was also a fantastic vocalist and did a lot of the work too.

I guess short answer is everyone is going to have to work harder to make up for the lack of percussion, especially if you're going to be doing rock songs.

3. fwiw I play w/ an acoustic gtrist/singer all the time. just the two of us. works out well - pretty much play the parts, maybe try to cover a rhythm or groove if one of us can. . . some other friends do the same gtr/bass/2 vox.

most songs work themselves out. some just aren't as cool if we cant cover a signature part, but we cover a nice 3 hour long sets just fine . . .

4. Percy-
    My advice is not be afraid of some empty space. Don't feel like you have to be super busy.
    I played drummerless and found that I had to get use to the spot that was usually filled by drums and cymbals. It can be a very good set-up for the right market, especially parties that just wanted some background music while the guests mingled.

5. We play Hawaiian music and that is our lineup. Go to my myspace page (moanamele) for an example.

6. Great tracks, I especially dig the "Grey Street", it sounds as if you got John Frusciante to play this one :)

7. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    The Devil Makes Three is a great example of what can be done with three people and no drums. They are probably not the greatest example for your case, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to give them a plug.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D John Frusciate who thought he was Trey Anastasio (lead guy was a Phish head)

Thanks

9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Well put! Back in the early 90's, I played bass in a drummerless band with a guitarist/singer and a woodwind player. It definitely forces one to be more rhythmic and aware.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've played country gigs with vocals/rhythm guitar, lead guitar, and bass. Worked great.

I've also played duets with vocals/guitar and bass. It can also work well. Helps that the guitar player has a looper so that he can loop the rhythm guitar during solos.

11. percy_jones

percy_jones

Jun 19, 2005
    thanks guys!! must check those bands out. Great tunes james, I loved the fills from belive.
    Thunder lizard that is my issue, I really don`t know if I have to play very legato or to cover up the drums and make a more groovy thing.
    I`ll post some recordings as soon as I have them. thanks again!!