Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trip from GK: On Replacing a Driver In My Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Feb 7, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    To Trip or any GK aficionados:

I need to replace one of the speakers in my 700RB/210 combo. Do I have to replace it with a Paragon driver, or can I buy an Eminence or similar driver instead? I believe they are 16 ohms, correct?

Where can one find a Paragon to purchase? Thanks for any help!:)

2. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    You should be able to get a Paragon through your GK dealer. A Paragon is an Eminence driver BUT the voice coil has another 1/4" of throw. I do not know if Eminence sells this driver under their name. The ones that we use were designed by Bob Gallien. Hope this helps. If it doesn't let me know and see what I can do.:) They are 16 ohms by the way. You blew one ,eh? I have had my 700 combo since '98 and I haven't been able to pull that one off yet! Anyway, let me know what's going on.

3. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    The speaker(s) aren't really blown. It's just that I can hear distortion at low volume levels. Someone on here suggested that the voice coil is rubbing. I still have to hook up a separate cabinet and disconnect the 10s to see if it's coming from the amp. Any idea what else could be the problem? I've only had the amp for a year, never was pushed hard.

4. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I had another company's amp that did that years ago. I HEARD, and the key word is "HEARD" that it may be a bias problem in the power amp. Please send me a PM by 700am central time and I'll let you know what to do. Hope that's cool.:) I am about to be gone for 3 weeks doing biz.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I once had an Eden vt.40 with this very problem... slight distortion, really noticeable at low volumes. There was a trim pot inside to set the bias on the signal running from the pre to the power... An electronice guru here at work put it on a scope and had her sounding great in less than 5 minutes. This distortion was noticeable on every cabinet I plugged into however...

-robert

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just a thought, but have you checked
    the connections on the speaker? I recently
    thought I blew one of my speakers. Later
    found out the speaker wire connection to
    the speaker was at bit loose. Sounded the
    same as a fried voive coil. Just a thought.