1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trip-Hop bassist, what could be like?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Apr 20, 2010.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    All,

any of you plays in Trip Hop bands? I've bumped into one that is looking for a bassist. Although I like more than a trip hop song, I must say I'm not a hyper fan of the genre but indeed I'm getting curious about how it could look like.

Over here trip-hop it's not a super popular genre in terms of chance to get gigs, but this is not too much of a concern for me because I am not a professional musician and I don't want to gig much anyway. In the end, for me it's more the people than the genre that counts as far feeling good in a band counts...

I wonder... what you think (as a bassist) of trip-hop and what experiences can you share around playing this genre? I'm looking erally at 360 degrees feedback.

Thanks in advance!

2. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    I think that it is a very interesting genre.

I've played in bands with some trip-hoppish lines and I enjoyed it.

The thing is that you have to dig is that it is a repetitive form, you are imitating machine- or sampled-type loops, so if you don't enjoy that it's not for you.

You have to get 'hypnotic'. And used to playing solid at quite slow tempos, which can be hard, surprisingly, resisting the urge to speed up or over-embellish. I find it more akin to dub reggae than anything else.

The good thing about it, is people want to hear you, and you can boost those lows/subsonics right up!!!

And the lines are so cool. Portishead, Massive Attack etc etc, love it.

Go for it I say, it's not 'popular', but if the people in the band are good to be around, then you'll have fun. And not courting popularity can be liberating.

3. Following Britpicker, overplaying can be trouble...you are there to groove, not always solo, just like everyone else. I think with triphop is a genre where everybody in the group has to think like a producer and not an instrumentalist--listen for the big picture in the song.

4. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I feel intrigued by the style... maybe a give it a go...

5. I had no idea what trip hop was. So I just googled it. Wiki has a sound clip example, which turns out is the theme music to the House tv show.