Trip to Bass Central

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm in Central Florida for a meeting and I checked out Bass Central during some down time. That is one great shop with a really nice staff! I will definitely give them some of business in the future. They really know how to treat customers, even if they don't have pockets stuffed with cash! I got to check out some basses that I have been hearing about like a Sadowsky Metro five. I really wasn't too impressed. I know manyh great players use them, but I think I would just as soon played a good high end Fender like a USA Deluxe or Victor Bailey V. At least where I was, the Fenders as good or mayb e better for $1,100 less. Remember, this is just my opinion, those who like Sadowskys don't need me to approve their choice of gear! I played a five string Victor Wooten model Fodera and I really liked it. It just was too expensive for my blood. For $5,000, I am talking a bass, a stack and half a car down payment!

What really impressed me were the new double pup Stingrays! Those basses sound massive! Everything I already loved in a Stingray plus more. At $1,100 for a four or $1,389 for a five, these basses are too good to be true. I finally checked out a single pup Bongo and I'm glad I did not get one. It was good, but I would rather have a Stingray. Other that Music Man, I really loved the Laklands I played. I liked the DJ5 with the J-Retro, but I wish they had a passive one for me to play. What suprised me was how much I still liked the 55-01, even compared to the DJ5 and the Sadowsky. I am gonna have to get another 55-01! At $650, that bass may be the best bass for the money in the whole world.

I also brought along my Peavey Foundation that I picked up for $125 last week. I showed it to Beaver Felton since he used to endorse them back in the 1980s. He couldn't believe I got it so cheap. Beaver played some cool stuff on it. The man can still burn! He said he still had a white one. He also talked about how Peavey gave it the thinnest neck on the market when they introduced it. I am so glad I got that bass the other day. After I got get the Hipshot fitted on it, it will be even better.

All in all, check out Bass Central. They have a great selection and they really know how to treat a customer. They will for sure get my money in the future, God willing.
  2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I love bass central! I've bought 95% of my gear through them over the course of 7 years or so. I finally got the chance to visit this past November, and they really treated me like a king... even though they knew I wasn't going to buy anything. Hey, I think I played that exact VW 5 string Fodera, it smoked!
  3. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I called there the other night to ask a question and was treated really well by everyone. I will also definitely be buying from there in the future.

One question if anyone knows: I get down to Disney World a couple times a year. How far is BassCentral from the Mouse? (I just go from the airport to WDW or Universal. I don't know the area that well.)
  4. +1 on Bass Central... first rate. Sound like you had a fun trip. I would love to try a dual pickup Stingray... I bet they are awesome.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bass Central is about 20 or 25 miles from Disney World. Traffic in Orlando at ruch hour is terrible. The trip itself is simple. From Disney World, you would only have to make about three turns the whole way. Get the details on Mapquest.
  6. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

That is why I was in Florida in the first place. It's about 45 minutes with light traffic. Basically, its on the north side of Orlando. Wasn't hard to find at all.

Edit: Maybe my perception of time is different, though my wife was in the car at the time. (Are we there yet?!)
  7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Bought my Warwick 6 from them, great guys all around.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    All the way to Bass Central and you didn't try out a Dingwall?!?

They're one of the very few US dealers. :(
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yup, bass central is good folks, and yup the dual pickup 'rays are the bomb. You should hear it with some better strings than the stock ones :eek: :D
  10. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i want to one day visit, but i bought my amp from them. excellent on all levels, will definitely do business again.
  11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    "google maps is the best"...

12. Thanks for the travelogue. I would love to go there, but I would want to try the Dingwalls, just to find out what Burning Skies is raving about. Thanks for the notes on what you liked and what didn't light your fire. I get to play some "boutique" basses because my local store does lots of internet business, but I have yet to see a Sadowsky, Metro or NYC. I'm as impressed by the boutique ones I dislike as much as the ones I like. Great review.
  13. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Aren't they the only Wal dealer in the US? Man, gotta convince my job theres work to be done in Orlando.
  14. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I'm lucky enough to have Bass Central less than 10 minutes from me right now. The first time I went in there I was taking my SX in to get a basic setup and once over right after I got it before I started messing with it. I expected them to laugh at me for bringing that thing in to a store where the lowest priced bass they had was at least 5 times what I paid for mine. But they didn't live up to my expectations and acted like I had bought a $2000 bass from them! The guy that did the work on my bass doesn't work there anymore but I still keep in touch with him as there isn't another set of hands I'd rather have work on my basses.

I still go in there to buy strings though because they're the ONLY store I can find around here that stocks my Nickel Rotosounds! I haven't bought anything big from them but so far I have nothing but good things to say about that place. I imagine once I get done with school and have more than pennies a week in spending money like I do now, I'll be able to buy something a little nicer from them.
  15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Not just me any more, Aaron...

Check out why Ed Friedland writer/player/editor of BP sold off two of his fender Jazz basses so he could fund a Dingwall.

Steve Dude Barr also posted a thread called "Best ****in' neck I've played"

Or maybe consider Lee Sklar, who now owns a CAR Super J, several Zebra series and at least one Prima Artist.

Look for a Super P sometime in the future too...
  16. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    is it just me or are some of their prices on more common basses high-priced?
  17. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I played one of those super J's and they were groovy. I don't think I can do the fanned fret thing though.
  18. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I loved everything I played there that wasn't a Lakland :ninja:

I was especially impressed with the Fodera and the Roscoe SKB-3005 they had. Just killer stuff.
  19. I have found there prices on "standard" items, Fenders, Skylines, Boss pedals etc, to be right in line with everyone else. When you get into the higher end stuff, USA Laklands, MM, Eden, Aggy etc, they are hard to beat. I am local to them, and the only thing I buy elsewhere is cables from Butchonbass. They do stock some basses like Skylines, for example, with optional tops and electronics, that would be higher than a completely standard model.

20. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I've really found their prices on MM to be either higher ot the standard; but the higher end basses (Modulus'... Moduli? idk, Alembics, etc.) great deals.

They have more options with their MM, but I still think they're higher priced. Maybe its changed since I last viewed their MM section, but thats how I remember it.