Trip to shop...WOW experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    hey everyone,
    just wanted to share the thought on my trip to the bass centre today. Im looking to upgrade my head from a hartke I have at the moment, I have a scroeder 410 arriving in about 2 weeks. Anyway, I rocked up thinking that the GK will be for me, loud punchy etc. So I got a Spector ReBop and plugged into a 700rbII, and yeah it wascool, punchy but somewhat unspectacular. The thing I found a little annoying was I could not get the low notes on the low E to sound how I want them, big yet focused. Still it was a cool head. Then I tried the AG 500, and found the clean channell on it to be somewhat similar to GK's, maybe a little warmer. The distiortion was cool, kind of a nice fuzz, I liked it. Overall I thought the head was okay but again enspectacular. Then as an afterthought I decided to try an Eden, even though that from everything Ive heard I thought I wouldnt like this amp. I play in a real loud hard rock band and the descriptions Ive been hearing of the Eden being warm and more suited to different styles almost put me off. Anyway I plugged into a WT 550, and the sound was really spectacular. Warm, and the low end was great! Focused how I like it, and just really bassy and kick ass! Everyone says that they leave it mostly flat but I stuffed around with it and found that after some big changes you can get some completely different sounds out of it, probably more suited to my style of music. Versatile, warm, focused, I was really really impressed with it. the other amps were good, but the tone of the eden was something else. The cab I played em all through was a goliath 410 4 ohm.

Couple of questions. The eden seemed quite warm, does it possess the cut necessary in a hard rock band? Should I save the extra cash and go for the 800 version (keeping in mind the Scxroeder 410 is damn lefficient)? Anyway Im still stoked after hearing it, since I think I now know what I wanna get. An eden with a sansamp pedal for bit of distortion on some tracks willl serve me nicely :hyper:
  2. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    That's your problem right there. Bought a 1001 from there a couple of weeks ago and tried it with the following cabs:

Goliath 4-ohm
    Eden 8-ohm 410XLT
    Ampeg 4-ohm 410BXT

i found that GK + SWR = big let down. GK + Eden was ok, but there was a lot of hiss from the Eden's horn. GK + ampeg = WOW. You should try the GK again through an ampeg cab. its a fantastic combination.
  3. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    yeah, cool, Il give it a try. I played a GK once before and that was through an eden cab, and wasnt much better than the swr, but Il give the ampeg a go next time. Itl be another 2 months before I have the cash to purchase the head so still time to try different stuff
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the 550 is a terrific head, and goes along with whatever cab you use. but w/ that said, its ALWAYS a good idea to bring your own bass & rig to try w/ a new piece of gear you're planning to add. what may sound great at the store may fight w/ your rig at home. you're spending a big wad o' cash. might as well make sure it plays nice.

also, you did the right thing in playing around w/ the EQ. it confounds me to no end when i read about guys saying they didnt dig the sound of a certain head, preamp, etc., and yet NOT fiddle w/ the EQ. its there, it works, and its on the amp to help you. so use it! and yea, i think the EQ on the Eden should help you get most any sound you want. i particularly like the EQ voicings, and love the fact you can choose specific frequencies to boost or cut. wish it had a "Q" option, but that's ok.

and IMHO, i'm pretty sure the Eden and Schroeder cab you own would go together marvelously. the warmth of the Eden heads and aggressive nature of the Eden cabs balanced each other out great. so, the uber assaultive Schroeder sound pony up nicely w/ the warmth of the Eden 550. heck, 1210 i tried sounded like a "boarding school, scholar athelete" version of the Eden speaker cabinet sound. more hifi, more articulate, yet brawny, and MAD punchie. can only imagine how sweet the Eden and Schroe would sound. :cool:

again, no need to go w/ the 800. i'd stick w/ the 550. its smaller, lighter, easy to carry, and i'm sure it'll possess waaay more than enough volume for your needs, especially when mated w/ the face kicking schroe cab. i'd check w/ the store and see how their return policy works. take it to a rehearsal, and see how it fares. dont like it? take it back! easy peasy.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have a tech21 RBI/Stewart/Aguilar 212 rig and I recently borrowed a EDEN wt300, similar, but less power than the 550. I know what you mean, I love the "subwoofer tone" I call it. the cool thing is you can thin out the bass sound if you need more power (not lose so much making low lows) AND with the sweepable eq you can probably dial in any cut-through frequency you need!!!

if you buy new eden stuff make sure its the stuff that can go down to 2 ohms load, especially if you get the 4ohm SWR.

Eden kicks butt!!! I wish I knew that sooner.... :meh: would maybe have saved me some GAS money.