Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trip to the Cincy Bass Cellar; Worf's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Wilbyman, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Guys-

Went to the Cincy Bass Cellar yesterday. Andy Stetson is quite the gentleman and left me in "the room" to try out everything from 1930s German to 19th century Italian. Very fun. Most of the instruments are set up for classical/arco, so it's tough to get a feel for what they'd do with some spirocores.

Strangely enough, I came out coveting a bass consigned by Glenn Worf...a 1930's german (like my own) 3/4 flatback with big birdseyes all over it. It was a jazz cannon. It was similar to my bass in responsiveness (speaks pretty quickly), but went lower and punched harder. Really nice...kind of ugly...but sounded and played great. It sounded bigger and punched alot harder than the 7/8th's Juzeks Andy had, which were also set up for jazz.

Anyway, I recommend going to Andy's and checking out his wares. It was well worth the 4 hour drive (each way!) to get to manhandle so many exquisite instruments.

Will

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Wilbyman - Its easy to spend several hours at the CBC, and both Andy and Chris are great guys. It is so much fun to be left alone and move from bass to bass.

Hope you found the one you're looking for.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I agree - this is a problem at first, but in my experience, if "the bass for you" is in the room, you'll find her. Anymore, I think of this phenomenon as being similar to looking for your "one and only love" when you only get to meet her while she's in a room full of other women, all of whom are wearing period clothing from the 18th or 19th century. If she's there, she'll still be just as lovable; you just have to be able to imagine her in jeans and a sweater (or whatever clothing style floats yer boat). *

Agreed that the upstairs showroom of the Bass Cellar is a magic place...always feels like "through the looking glass" to me. :)

* (no gender bias intended - I just be what I be)

4. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Chris - great analogy. I prefer to imagine my bass nekkid (altered spelling for KY understanding).

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I've been in that room several times. Everything(!) in that room sounds great. I had to take some to the one next door to get more of an idea of what I was looking at.

6. I remember meeting a nice German lady in that room. She was very full figured but some would say she was in need of an extreme makeover. Her skin was nearly black with age... but you know what they say about older women...her upper bout jiggled when she moved...but I know people that can fix that. I was however a little startled when she showed me her huge crack so soon after greeting but after she spoke to me...it was bliss. I still think about her. :bag:

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    How did she respond with the vibrato? :D

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That's a good analogy!

Will

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Nice avatar, Will. So, you gonna try and make a play for Lieutenant Worf, or what? I've never played a Klingon bass before...is the scroll all weird and bumpy?

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    LOL :p

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    No bumpy scroll, but it was loud and ill-tempered enough to be Klingon!

Glenn's got the bass there on consignment, so insofar as I'd be laying out cash for it...no. With some work, the bass would be great. However, the next DB I buy is going to be a HUGE step up from what I'm playing now. Worf's bass would be a lateral step without putting money into it, and a marginal step even with the repairs. The bass I've got now sounds pretty great itself, it's just a swellback and doesn't hit quite as hard.

I want to go to THE NEXT GENERATION :D (20k range)

Will

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I'm having difficulty assuaging my desire to get that bass. It's not like I need it. It's kind of like seeing Charlie Parker or Jaco in the gutter. The instrument has such amazing potential...and if someone would put the time and money into it, it could truly be great. It's all there. It's MADE to swing. It wants to PUSH.

Back to practicing. I wish some jazzer would read this and go get it. I really don't want to possess it, so much as I want to see someone make it happy. (This is starting to sound bizarre, I know.)

And, really, I don't think there's a correlation between $$ and sound for jazz basses. The best jazz instruments I've run across have been earlier-mid 20th century Czech and German.

Will

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It sounds like l-o-v-e to me. Go back and play her for a day.