Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trip Wamsley Gig Review 10/17

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 19, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, I was waiting for Stubi19 to start a thread about how he ran sound for the notorious Trip Wamsley this past Friday in Corsicana but he's a slow poke so you snooze you lose.

It was a fine Friday night for an outdoor concert and this one featured Trip headlining on a street corner in downtown Corsicana. The street was cordoned off and for some reason there were about 5 million dirty-faced little kids running around with no shoes on. Well I guess one explanation for that was the Moonwalk that someone rented for the event. Anyway...it was cool to get a chance to chat with Trip beforehand about various subjects from playing with Zydeco bands, his "alien in a bag" baby, Chinese hair-metal and discussing "choppa bass" with Japanese people.

I had to cut the conversation short though as I was neglecting my wife and I'd already spent some time chatting with Stu. So...after listening to some random other acts Trip finally took the stage with a solo-bass vengeance. He played a lot of stuff off of his latest album, did some cool songs with his Boss looping pedal, started off (jokingly) on a bass rendition of Man of Constant Sorrow, reminisced about his first beer, sang a bit of the song that inspired my TalkBass nickname and alienated all the "country-folk" that were there. Really though, it was a great show and a great display of bass virtuousity. If you ever get a chance to see Trip live then by all means do it. If he's playing an hour and a half away and your wondering whether you should go or not, do it. I've seen some of the highest regarded players in the bass world play live including Victor Wooten, Norm Stockton, Les Claypool, Tony Levin, Myron Dove etc... not to mention videos of all the other greats and I honestly feel Trip could easily hold his own in that crowd. He's just one of those players that plays jaw-droppingly complex stuff smoothly and never misses a beat doing it. Plus, his compositions are great too, which isn't always the case with some of the greats.

After the show I picked up Trip's latest CD, "It's Better This Way" and it's great too. Definitely worth buying. Go to www.tripwamsley.com to check it out or purchase it.

Now that Trip's head is sufficiently inflated I'll wrap this up. Great show, great CD. Highly recommended.

brad cook

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got it and I agree. Great playing, very listenable tunes, and his basses sounds as clear as any bass recording I've even come across.

Trip LIVE. That's something I'd like to see. But I may have to jump on a plane to do it.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Trip is not only an amazing player, he's an amazing person.

Highly recommended listening, either CD or live!

:D

4. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Trip? I hate that guy.:spit:

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well me too but ya gotta admit his bass playing ain't half bad.

:bassist:

brad cook

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Trip Wamsley...Resident Bad Ass. :bassist:

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

Yo Tripster, which one of those guys in your avatar is you???

:eek:

...when you comin' down Flaw-ee-duh way man? :)

You need to do some shows so the BC crowd can come heckle!!!!!

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So I went to a guitar show on Saturday, and Brad assumes I forgot to post? :)

Trip, both as a person and a player, was amazing. Just listening to him talk was an inspiration, and his paying, well that's another story. Simply amazing.

My favorite part of the nite was when I asked Trip "How does someone make a living as a solo bass player?" His answer was simply "Playing Mustang Sally..."

Trip, thanks for coming to town, and I hope to see you again sometime soon.

9. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    It was no problem and it was fun. Indeed. Gard spelled backwards is DRAG. Do not forget this. It will take you a long way. Anyway Gard we'll talk about things in a bit! I have some ideas!:D

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Naw...I just said you're a slowpoke! :spit:

brad cook

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...wow...never heard that one before....

...Gard...draG...wow...never would have thought of it...

;)

You're a GENIUS!!!!

Anyhow, looking forward to hearing from you man! Be cool to have you down this way again. :)

12. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hmmmmmm.......that's funny. Nearly everyone I saw at the show were talking about "the guy from Corsicana who blew all of his gas (fuel) money on a Ric and had to walk home. :D

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I heard that he got there by sitting on top of a Fender Twin Reverb attached to a cart and lassoing a passing car.

brad cook

14. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    And he wonders why he wasn't invited...:D

And Brad, it was a truck, not a car :p