Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trip Wamsley

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j_sun23, Sep 8, 2003.

1. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    Saw this bass monster the other night at Ichabod's in Baton Rouge, LA. If you ever get a chance to check this guy out, do it! You won't regret it. It's some of the most amazing bass playing as well as some of the most beautiful instrumental music you'll hear. If you've experienced it already, then you know what I'm talking about. Awesome. Just awesome.

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Word to the Tripster! His new album (get it at Amazon.com) is pretty amazing, as well...

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Has anyone noticed there is a feature/interview with the Tripster on the TB Homepage?

Well worth checking out...along with a review of his new CD.

I agree..helluva bassist...helluva musician....helluva nice guy, too.

Max

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not sure if you're aware J-sun, but Trip is a semi regular TB member. I first got to know him as the friendly and helpful guy who worked for GK. I didn't even know that he was a monster player until much later.

5. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Word.

6. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I read the article. And I really like your playing, Trip. When are you coming to Dallas/Fort Worth?:D

And what's up with your avatar, anyway?:D

8. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I will be here:
    October 12th, Axxess 6:00PM
    Arlington Chinese Bible Church
    2426 Superior Drive
    Arlington, TX 76013
    The Avatar is a Japanese pop act called "Happatai." I think that they are a riot. I wish they were more popular here. The are infinitely more entertaining than the boy bands here.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I will try to make it! It would be great to hear you play in person!:)

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Leave the avatar as it is Trip. It makes me chuckle....

11. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    That's why I used it. It makes me laugh too!

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Trip,

I met you in Nashville (Summer NAMM 2002) with this beast of an Alembic!!! I love that blueburst kinda thing! Man, you are one heck of a player!

Come to ATL for some gigs!

Hey I noticed that you play in a Zydeco/Nawlins group... ever hear of 'ZydeFunk!'? Charlie Wooton is in it, Originally from your neck of the woods.

13. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Charlie? I've not heard that name in years. He used to live in Lafayette. I heard his name for years in the '90s and we never did get to meet.:( The Alembic is quite a beast and it's a lot fun to play. By myself. :p I do use it from time to time with Sean Ardoin and Zydekool. Fun stuff and usually the money is good. Usually.

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I play in a Nawlins Cover band (Nevilles, Meters, Dr John, 'Fess, John Mooney...Etc.) here in Atlanta. Alot of fun, do covers to pay bills & for gear... Original stuff too (a bunch)with other groups.

Charlie Wooton is doing well here ATL, has a couple Nawlins and SW-LA inspired groups together here (Tropicus, Fishmouth Fools, Zydefunk). Kind of a wild cat, but we all love him. I guess when he left Lafayette he went to Los Angeles for some music ed and gigs, then moved here...

How'd you hear of him?

Sounds like the Blueberry Beast is more of a solo instrument... How is it tuned?

15. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    A trombone player whose name I've forgotten went to school with Charlie and would always tell me about him. Good things.
    The bleuberry beast is a solo axe. It's really useless in a rock band unless things are built around it. I think I said that in my TB feature. I don't understand when players use more than 5 strings in a blues/rock band you know? I play 4 with frets and pick and a smidge 'O Distortion. I got it to record with and to play Alex De Grassi meets the Edge kind of soundscape things. It has, however, made it out to New Orleans Jazz Fest and a few other Zydeco events. It was primarily for the "visual" aspect. Sean is quite a showman and he wants his band to be flashy as well.

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    5's about it for me... on jazz gigs, funk/dance, blues, Nawlins... it's just my new medium.

Last Monday at a TB ATL Dinner thing JT brought his fretted and Fretless 36-step/fret 8 string basses... Man, I'm not even sure what to do with all of that... JT sure knows how to play all of that and make'em sing... Greg Campbell has got a cool thing going on (he's a Warrior playa too!), I stil have that DVD he was handing out as a demo a couple NAMM's ago... what nice fella.

Is there a website for Sean Ardoin? Or ZydeCool?

How far are you from New Orleans? There might be a chance that a group that I play with might play down there for a weekend (Nov/Dec Maybe)... Sponsor-permitting.

17. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I go 'twixt 4 and 5. Mostly 4 for rock. JT has got a whole band built around what he does. Which is really cool. When your bass has an even bigger range than the guitars you really have to find guitar players with no insecurities and that are not prone to histrionics either. I don't know too many of those. (Does anyone? If so I need phone numbers!)
    There is a site for Zydekool. It's at www.zydekool.com. It's never updated and all the photos are old. Sean is much heavier now.;)
    As for New Orleans, I am 3 hours West in the heel of the Louisiana boot. It's not a cultural mecca but you can gig in this region and get paid. It's a small scene and a small group of players that gig in it. We all like to keep it that way. That's why I'm here and not in some "music town." Music towns to my knowledge don't pay. If this is wrong I want to know where else there is! Help!:D
    Let me know when you are in the Crescent City and I will make it a point to meet you. Bring John Turner! I need to show him my booger collection.:D

18. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I hear ya RE: "Music Cities", I lived in Boston for many years and for 6-7 years of actual gigging in and around the Northeast, I didn't fair half as well as I have in the last 3 years while I have lived here (ATL). Granted I was having to compete with all of the music school cats (up there), living/working/playing was a challenge... no wonder I was so thin up there. Thank god that was in my early twenties, gave me the appreciation of what gigs are thrown at me these days here.

You look a little different on Sean's site :D .

'Booger collection', is that what you 'high-end' bass-playing nutz call gear these days?

A guitarist with no insecurities? Do they make ones like that these days?

Trip you need to pack your 'boogers' up and visit us ATLiens, maybe see a Zydefunk gig and sit in... Scare the sh!t out of Wooton... even that you haven't see his gig, it's interesting.... Think 'Cajun Jaco'!

19. man, tell me about it! as much as audiences dig this 8, it scares the bejeebers outta guitarists! I even had a guy tell me not to sit in when he saw me pull it out of the case!

that said, it's still pretty much all I bring to gigs...

:p

from the low end,

Stew

ps - buy Trip's new disc! it's wonderful!

20. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I had always heard Charlie was a Jaco fan. Isn't everyone? Booger collection was just that. Something gross.:D Well when there is a TB get together in A-town let me know and I will be there! John? Let's hook that thing up. As for guitar players, I have a crusty with a hair in it just for them. There still needs to be a forum for TBers to vent about their bandmates. That would be a S$%t-Slingin' good time.:D Oh the drama! A total free for all.