1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Triple Concentric ("Stacked") Knobs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rogerbmiller, Feb 18, 2008.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Does anyone know where I can get a stacked knob and pot with 3 controls? Does such a thing exist? I'm considering putting a 3 band EQ on a bass that currently has one tone know and I don't want to do any extra drilling.

Thanks.

2. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Try asking around in the electronics forum.

3. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    oh snapp! you got served

4. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    None stock that I am aware of, but Penny & Guiles or Bourns may do small batch orders for you, doubtful, but possible.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I don't recall ever having seen a piece of equipment (audio or not) with triple concentric pots or switches, but it could be out there somewhere.

6. Howe

Howe

Feb 9, 2008
    I can't find anything readily aviable..

7. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I suppose such a thing is mechanically possible, although I can't say I've ever seen such a thing in my entire life, and I'm 47, and my eyes cover a lot of ground, gear-wise all the time.

8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    My Warwick had a concentric pot with one single pot stacked on top of a dual/blend pot, plus a push/pull switch that wasn't connected to anything. So weird pots like that do exist, but I think if you find one, it's going to be very expensive.

Edit: you might try these guys. I think they may make triple concentric pots used in high end mixing consoles. Didn't see them on the website, but shoot them an e-mail.

9. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    John East uses them on his U-Retros. Bass on bottom, Treble and then pull the top for Bright.

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Went and dug around, and found this, so i guess yes, someone could make something like that
    14g2bup5.

11. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    CJ and ehque, those may be multiple devices, but they're still only dual concentric. Only two (cj) or one (ehque) rotary conrols.

12. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you do find this item, make sure you're happy with the height. If it ends up too tall, you're much more likely to break it.

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Right, what I meant is that there are companies making very specialized pots and switches. I realize the one in my bass is not triple concentric. I know that you can get custom pots made by some of these companies, but you would probably have to order 100-1000 of them.

Anyway, I think you would be better off either drilling an extra hole, or using a 2-band eq. For some, compromise is not an option, but unless you want to shell out a few grand for 1000 pots just to get one, I think a concession might be in order.