1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Triple Contra - quite cool IMO

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by knuckle_head, Nov 21, 2006.

1. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    A composition by Roscoe Mitchell who tapped a bass player named Brian Smith that had built a Triple Contra Viol. Low string on this beast is the 20 Hz E - rumor has it this triple contra is nearly 10 feet tall with a playable scale length that is at or just beyond 60"

It won't be most y'all's cup o' tea but here is the MP3

I chatted with Brian and he is digging into his old tapes to see if he can find some of his compositions that feature the triple contra - I so hope he can find them (and shares them with me when he does).

2. I don't think my speakers on my laptop do it justice; it must be phenominal live. You might have to get the venue checked for structural integrity before you play those bottom notes. :)

3. Reminds me of the campfire scene in "Blazing Saddles"

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Jeez, sounds like you're listening to a humpback whale. :confused:

5. junglebike

junglebike

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I'm reminded of the phrase, "a long walk for a short drink"

6. jdapodaca

jdapodaca

May 25, 2006
    El Paso, Texas
    that was one of the weirdest things i've heard in my life.

7. Roscoe Mitchell "Four Compositions" (1987, Lovely Music Ltd., LCD2021). This CD is mainly avant-garde classical, all composed by Roscoe Mitchell. It includes one track ("Prelude") which is a quartet for voice, bass saxophone, contrabass sarrusophone, and triple contrabass viol. The liner notes include a picture of the quartet on stage.

- This explanation of the composition from a google search. Bizarre. The B-string on my fiver sounds fuller than that thing. It makes you wonder what the Octobass sounded like. Probably better.

and here's New York Times review:http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DEFD81031F934A25752C0A96E948260

8. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Interesting... but an EUB version would probably be a lot more practical.